|Your voice lashes out at a dragon's very soul, forcing the beast to land.|
|Recharge||10, 12, 15|
|Locations||Throat of the World (during Alduin's Bane)|
- Main article: Dragon Shouts
Dragonrend is a Dragon Shout in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. JOOR, ZAH and FRUL are the necessary words of power needed to use this shout. All three words of the Shout are obtained during Alduin's Bane.
Dragonrend works by forcing the targeted dragon to understand the meaning of mortality — something so utterly incomprehensible to an immortal dragon that the knowledge tears at their very soul, breaking their concentration enough so they cannot focus on flying. When used on a dragon, the dragon finds a place to land, upon which it remains temporarily paralyzed.
Dragonrend can also be used to interrupt the shouts of a dragon such as powerful breath shouts. A dragon can be kept permanently on the ground if the shout is used repeatedly.
When used on objects such as bowls and plates, it functions like a weaker version of Unrelenting Force, scattering the objects. This effect is most noticeable at the banquet table in the Palace of The Kings.
During the great Dragon War in ages past, the Dragonrend shout was crafted by the first mortal Tongues - those who had learned the use of Thu'um from Paarthurnax - to be used as a powerful weapon against dragons. Atop the Throat of the World, these Tongues used the shout to strike out at Alduin, forcing the World-Eater to land and confront Gormlaith Golden-Hilt, Hakon One-Eye, and Felldir the Old. The ensuing battle allowed the heroes to use an Elder Scroll to cast Alduin adrift on the tides of time in the hopes that he would be forever defeated. Sending Alduin through time resulted in a time wound being created. This event is viewed by the Dragonborn upon opening the Elder Scroll in the time wound. The words to Dragonrend (JOOR ZAH FRUL) are learned and unlocked when the heroes use the shout on Alduin the first time. Gormlaith is killed while valiantly striking Alduin head on. There is no real mourning of her death, just an input by Hakon One-Eye.
- May only function on dragons that have detected the Dragonborn.
- Dragons might not land if there's not enough room.
- When used on Alduin at the Throat of The World, may render him invincible for the remainder of the fight.
- It is one of the only two shouts created by men, along with Dragon Aspect.
- This shout doesn't require Dragon Souls to unlock, unlike other shouts, however that can be explained by mortals creating it rather than Dragons. Other explanation may be that the Dragon Souls are actually used to understand the Shouts in depth, but a mortal already understands mortality; whereas a dragon does not.