Dagur at The Frozen Hearth in Winterhold asks for help in finding out what happened to Isabelle Rolaine, the disappeared lover of Ranmir. He dislikes the condition in which Ranmir has caused himself to be in. Asking the people at the inn leads to Vex, a thief in Riften, who knows more about her disappearance.
- Talk to Haran.
- Go to the the Ragged Flagon in Riften and talk to Vex.
- Go to Hob's Fall Cave and find Isabelle Rolaine.
- Return her letter to Ranmir.
When spoken to, Dagur asks the Dragonborn to find out what happened to Ranmir's lover, Isabelle Rolaine, because he does not like the state Ranmir is in.
Talking to Haran reveals that, one night, when the inn ran out of Honningbrew Mead, Ranmir flew into a rage. He said that Isabelle ran off with a thief named Vex, who lives in Riften. Ranmir will have nothing useful to say on the matter and, if questioned, will yell at the Dragonborn that they are never to speak Isabelle's name in his presence. Vex can be found in the Ragged Flagon; she will speak to the Dragonborn regardless of whether or not they have gained entry to the Thieves Guild.
Talking to Vex reveals that Isabelle wanted to make some money, but that Vex did not believe she was capable of it. Isabelle refused to be turned away, however, so Vex sent her to Hob's Fall Cave. Despite her misgivings, Vex seems to have expected her to make it back to Ranmir safely.
Upon traveling to Hob's Fall, the Dragonborn discovers her corpse, along with a letter written for Ranmir explaining her intentions. The letter appears to have been written as if it was meant to be sent before she set off for Hob's Fall.
Taking the letter and giving it to Ranmir gives him closure on his lover's death. After receiving this news, Ranmir states that he needs to think about things; afterwards, he ceases drinking excessively.
- If Ranmir dies during the quest "Containment" or a dragon attack, this quest will be unable to be completed. PC users can use console command
setstage freeformwinterholdc 40to complete the quest and then get rid of the letter.
- Talking to Vex is not required to find Isabelle's corpse, or the letter; however, receiving the side quest from Dagur is required to find the letter on her corpse inside the cave.
- The dialog option to start this quest does not appear until after the Dragonborn has spoken to Haran and convinced Ranmir to pay his tab.
This section contains bugs related to Drowned Sorrows. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- This quest may not show up in the quest log.