Dunmer Strongholds are large stone fortresses scattered throughout the island of Vvardenfell.
The Dunmer originally built these fortresses to fend off Nord incursions in an era before the Great Houses coalesced. Most of the Strongholds were abandoned by the original owners after the Tribunal Temple established itself as the major religion of the region.[source?]
By 3E 427 the Dunmer strongholds have been reclaimed for a variety of purposes, including bases for various outlaw groups, and an outpost for House Redoran. Some of the more isolated Strongholds have been occupied by higher risk groups such as the Sixth House and Daedra.
Most Dunmer strongholds are connected by a system of propylon chambers. Each chamber was designed to allow teleportation to the nearest two strongholds. Teleportation to a specific propylon chamber requires the corresponding propylon index, of which ten can be found in various locations throughout Vvardenfell. Most strongholds are quite distant from any civilized areas, so this form of fast travel is only somewhat helpful in reaching obscure regions of Vvandenfell's interior and extremities. The propylon chamber at Kogoruhn no longer functions, therefore fast travel to or from this location is not possible.
There are eleven strongholds in Vvardenfell;
- Andasreth – West Gash, north of Gnaar Mok
- Berandas – West Gash, south of Gnisis
- Falasmaryon – Ashlands, across Foyada Bani-Dad from Maar Gan
- Falensarano – southern Grazelands
- Hlormaren – Bitter Coast, northwest of Balmora
- Indoranyon – Azura's Coast, south of Vos
- Kogoruhn – Ashlands, southeast of Urshilaku Camp
- Marandus – Molag Amur, on the shore of Lake Nabia
- Rotheran – Sheogorad, south of Dagon Fel
- Telasero – Molag Amur, east of Suran
- Valenvaryon – Ashlands, northeast of the Urshilaku Camp