Wearing this piece of armor grants the following skill bonuses:
The poison ability has a few considerations:
- This effect is only active while crouching or during combat.
- Once activated, the user is shrouded in darkness, simulating the effect of hiding in the shadows.
- Brawling while wearing the Ebony Mail will cause the opponent to become poisoned. This will count as a "non-brawl" attack, causing guards and other bystanders to become hostile as well.
- While active, this effect will appear in the Active Effects list as Ebony Mail Muffle.
- Many undead enemies will not be affected by the poison, making it mostly useless in vampire lairs or Nordic Ruins.
- Although the armor itself has a muffle, wearing the Ebony Mail while attacking sneakily could cause an issue: Targets may be informed of the player-character's presence, due to the poisoning effect.
This is a unique enchantment, thus it cannot be disenchanted.
- The Ebony Mail is the only non-footwear piece of apparel with the muffle effect.
- If the Dragonborn is a Vampire, their eyes will glow through the black smoke effect while wearing the armor (Only if Dawnguard is installed), Dunmer and Argonian eyes will also be visible, along with any scars.
- Using the Ebony Mail while attempting to sneak-snipe with a bow can cause some difficulty, as the smoky shadow effect blocks the vision, even if one zooms in.
- The Ebony Mail is unusual in the fact that it is one of few pieces of Heavy Armor that may significantly assist stealth-oriented characters, despite its weight; its high armor rating and enchantments are very useful in close combat if detected.
- The enchantment will activate when nearing a hostile target, making for an excellent auto-alarm system to signify a hostile enemy is near.
- Even though ebony mail is made of the same materials as regular ebony armor, its armor rating is slightly higher.
- The Ebony Mail shrouds the player-character in even more blackness when wearing the Ebony Helmet, Ebony Boots and Ebony Gauntlets.
- The Ebony Mail is not affected by the Matching Set perk.
This section contains bugs related to Ebony Mail (Skyrim). Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- dragons, sometimes their soul cannot be absorbed while wearing the Ebony Mail. It also sometimes continues to emit the poison aura even when there are no enemies around. When attacking
- It is possible for Boethiah's Embrace to remain active after switching armor.
- Dead Thrall spell. His armor will respawn upon fast traveling or entering a new cell. Multiple copies of Ebony Mail may be obtained by looting all the armor off the body of Boethiah's Champion and raising his body with the
- Mannequin glitch, but it will lose all upgrades done to the armor. It can be duplicated by the
- If dropped, it may show up as "stealing" it when it is picked up again.
- Hearthfire installed, the player will often have "unshrouded" eyes and scars that display through the dark silhouette generated by this armor. Without the affliction of Vampirism or Lycanthropy. With
- Malborn in the quest "Diplomatic Immunity." It may not be in the chest at the Thalmor Embassy upon arrival. The Ebony Mail can disappear if given to
- A bug can occur while wearing The Ebony Mail as well as The Masque of Clavicus Vile causing the players head to disapear.
- If the Masque of Clavicus Vile is equipped alongside the Ebony Mail, the Dragonborn's head may disappear.