Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Wearing this piece of armor grants the following skill bonuses:
The poison ability has a few considerations:
- This effect is only active while crouching or during combat.
- Once activated, the user is shrouded in darkness, simulating the effect of hiding in the shadows.
- Brawling while wearing the Ebony Mail will cause the opponent to become poisoned. This will count as a "non-brawl" attack, causing guards and other bystanders to become hostile as well.
- While active, this effect will appear in the Active Effects list as Ebony Mail Muffle.
- Many undead enemies will not be affected by the poison, making it mostly useless in vampire lairs or Nordic Ruins.
This is a unique enchantment, thus it cannot be disenchanted.
- Ebony Mail is the only non-footwear piece of apparel with the muffle effect.
- If the Dragonborn is a Vampire, their eyes will glow through the black smoke effect while wearing the armor (Only if Dawnguard is installed), Dunmer and Argonian eyes will also be visible, along with any scars.
- Using the Ebony Mail while attempting to sneak-snipe with a bow can cause some difficulty, as the smoky shadow effect blocks the vision, even if one zooms in.
- Despite the enchantments that may benefit stealth-oriented characters (and thus most likely skilled in Light Armor), Ebony Mail is classified as heavy armor and may not greatly assist in combat if detected.
- The enchantment will activate when nearing a hostile target, making for an excellent auto-alarm system to signify a hostile enemy is near.
This section contains bugs related to Ebony Mail (Skyrim). Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- dragons, sometimes their soul cannot be absorbed while wearing the Ebony Mail. It also sometimes continues to emit the poison aura even when there are no enemies around. When attacking
- It is possible for Boethiah's Embrace to remain active after switching armor.
- Dead Thrall spell. His armor will respawn upon fast traveling or entering a new cell. Multiple copies of Ebony Mail may be obtained by looting all the armor off the body of Boethiah's Champion and raising his body with the
- Mannequin glitch, but it will lose all upgrades done to the armor. It can be duplicated by the
- If dropped, it may show up as "stealing" it when you try to pick it up again.
- Hearthfire installed, the player will often have "unshrouded" eyes and scars that display through the dark silhouette generated by this armor. Without the affliction of Vampirism or Lycanthropy. With
- Malborn in the "Diplomatic Immunity" quest. It may not be in the chest at the Thalmor Embassy when you get there. The Ebony Mail can disappear if given to