You are able to move more quietly, and opponents that get too close take 5 points poison damage per second
|Class: Heavy Armor, Cuirass|
|Upgrade Material: Ebony Ingot|
|Perk: Ebony Smithing|
Wearing this piece of armor grants the following skill bonuses:
The poison ability has a few considerations:
- This effect is only active while crouching or during combat.
- Once activated, the user is shrouded in darkness, simulating the effect of hiding in the shadows.
- Brawling while wearing the Ebony Mail will cause the opponent to become poisoned. This will count as a "non-brawl" attack, causing guards and other bystanders to become hostile as well.
- While active, this effect will appear in the Active Effects list as Ebony Mail Muffle.
- Many undead enemies will not be affected by the poison, making it mostly useless in vampire lairs or Nordic Ruins.
This is a unique enchantment, thus it cannot be disenchanted.
- Ebony Mail is the only non-boot piece of apparel with the muffle effect.
- If the Dragonborn is a Vampire, their eyes will glow through the black smoke effect while wearing the armor (Only if Dawnguard is installed), Dunmer and Argonian eyes will also be visible, along with any scars
- Using the Ebony Mail while attempting to sneak-snipe with a bow can cause some difficulty, as the smoky shadow effect blocks the vision, even if one zooms in.
- Despite the enchantments that may benefit stealth-oriented characters (and thus most likely skilled in Light Armor), Ebony Mail is classified as heavy armor and may not greatly assist in combat if detected.
- The enchantment will activate when nearing a hostile target, making for an excellent auto-alarm system to signify a hostile enemy is near.
This section contains bugs related to Ebony Mail (Skyrim). Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- When brawling, the poison effect causes 40 bounty to that hold
- dragons, sometimes their soul cannot be absorbed while wearing the Ebony Mail. It also sometimes continues to emit the poison aura even when there are no enemies around. When attacking
- It is possible for Boethiah's Embrace to remain active after switching armor.
- Dead Thrall spell. His armor will respawn upon fast traveling or entering a new cell. Multiple copies of Ebony Mail may be obtained by looting all the armor off the body of Boethiah's Champion and raising his body with the
- Mannequin glitch, but it will lose all upgrades done to the armor. It can be duplicated by the
- If dropped, it may show up as "stealing" it when you try to pick it up again.
- Hearthfire installed, the player will often have "unshrouded" eyes and scars that display through the dark silhouette generated by this armor. Without the affliction of Vampirism or Lycanthropy. With
- Malborn in the "Diplomatic Immunity" quest. It may not be in the chest at the Thalmor Embassy when you get there. The Ebony Mail can disappear if given to