You are able to move more quietly, and opponents that get too close take 5 points poison damage per second
|Class: Heavy Armor, Cuirass|
|Upgrade Material: Ebony Ingot|
|Perk: Ebony Smithing|
Wearing this piece of armor grants the following skill bonuses:
The poison ability has a few considerations:
- This effect is only active while crouching or during combat.
- Once activated, the user is shrouded in darkness, simulating the effect of hiding in the shadows.
- Brawling while wearing the Ebony Mail will cause the opponent to become poisoned. This will count as a "non-brawl" attack, causing guards and other bystanders to become hostile as well.
- While active, this effect will appear in the Active Effects list as Ebony Mail Muffle.
- Many undead enemies will not be affected by the poison, making it mostly useless in vampire lairs or Nordic Ruins.
This is a unique enchantment, thus it cannot be disenchanted.
- Ebony Mail is the only non-boot piece of apparel with the muffle effect.
- If the Dragonborn is a Vampire, their eyes will glow through the black smoke effect while wearing the armor (Only if Dawnguard DLC is installed), Dunmer eyes will also be visible, along with any scars
- Using the Ebony Mail while attempting to sneak-snipe with a bow can cause some difficulty, as the smoky shadow effect blocks the vision, even if one zooms in.
- Despite the enchantments that may benefit stealth-oriented characters (and thus most likely skilled in Light Armor), Ebony Mail is classified as heavy armor and may not greatly assist in combat if detected.
- The enchantment will activate when nearing a hostile target, making for a excellent auto-alarm system to signify a hostile enemy is near.
- When attacking dragons, sometimes their soul cannot be absorbed while wearing the Ebony Mail. It also sometimes continues to emit the poison aura even when there are no enemies around.
- It is possible for Boethiah's Embrace to remain active after switching armor.
- Multiple copies of Ebony Mail may be obtained by looting all the armor off the body of Boethiah's Champion and raising his body with the Dead Thrall spell. His armor will respawn upon fast traveling or entering a new cell.
- Mannequin glitch, but it will lose all upgrades done to the armor. It can be duplicated by the
- If dropped, it may show up as "stealing" it when you try to pick it up again.
- With Hearthfire DLC installed, the player will often have "unshrouded" eyes and scars that display through the dark silhouette generated by this armour. Without the affliction of Vampirism or Lycanthropy.
- The Ebony Mail can disappear if given to Malborn in the Diplomatic Immunity quest. It may not be in the chest at the Thalmor Embassy when you get there.