Ebony Mail can be looted from the body of the Champion of Boethiah at Knifepoint Ridge during the quest "Boethiah's Calling." If Knifepoint Ridge is visited before the quest, the armor cannot be obtained, as the passage leading to the Champion is blocked with boulders.
Wearing this piece of armor grants the following skill bonuses:
The poison ability has a few considerations:
- This effect is only active while crouching or during combat.
- Once activated, the user is shrouded in darkness, simulating the effect of hiding in the shadows.
- Brawling while wearing the Ebony Mail will cause the opponent to become poisoned. This will count as a "non-brawl" attack, causing guards and other bystanders to become hostile as well.
- The poison appears to be considered an "effect" rather than a "poison", so practically every enemy in the game is affected by it, even enemies that are originally "immune" to regular poisons, such as draugr and vampires.
- Although the armor itself has a muffle, wearing the Ebony Mail while stealth attacking could cause an issue: closer targets may be informed of the player-character's presence, due to the poisoning effect. A very high Sneak skill can avoid detection, and thus be used to kill enemies whilst sitting still.
This is a unique enchantment, thus it cannot be disenchanted.
- The Ebony Mail is the only non-footwear piece of apparel with the muffle effect.
- If the Dragonborn is a Vampire, their eyes will glow through the black smoke effect while wearing the armor (Only if Dawnguard is installed). Elven, Khajiit, and Argonian eyes will also be visible, along with any scars.
- Using the Ebony Mail while attempting to sneak-snipe with a bow can cause some difficulty, as the smoky shadow effect blocks the vision, even if one zooms in.
- The Ebony Mail is unusual in the fact that it is one of few pieces of Heavy Armor that may significantly assist stealth-oriented characters, despite its weight; its high armor rating and enchantments are very useful in close combat if detected.
- The enchantment will activate when nearing a hostile target (by making a particular sound effect), making for an excellent auto-alarm system to signify a hostile enemy is near. The same sound effect also plays when entering sneak with the armor equipped.
- Even though ebony mail is made of the same materials as regular ebony armor, its armor rating is slightly higher, and its weight is lighter.
- The Ebony Mail shrouds the player-character in even more blackness when wearing the Ebony Helmet, Ebony Boots and Ebony Gauntlets.
- The Ebony Mail is not affected by the Matching Set perk.
- While active, this effect will appear in the Active Effects list as Ebony Mail Muffle, while the poison effect is listed as Boethiah's Embrace.
This section contains bugs related to Ebony Mail (Skyrim). Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- dragons, sometimes their soul cannot be absorbed while wearing the Ebony Mail. It also sometimes continues to emit the poison aura even when there are no enemies around. When attacking
- It is possible for Boethiah's Embrace to remain active after switching armor.
- Dead Thrall spell. His armor will respawn upon fast traveling or entering a new cell. Multiple copies of Ebony Mail may be obtained by looting all the armor off the body of Boethiah's Champion and raising his body with the
- Mannequin glitch, but it will lose all upgrades done to the armor. It can be duplicated by the
- If dropped, it may show up as "stealing" it when it is picked up again.
- Hearthfire installed, the player will often have "unshrouded" eyes and scars that display through the dark silhouette generated by this armor. Without the affliction of Vampirism or Lycanthropy. With
- Malborn in the quest "Diplomatic Immunity." It may not be in the chest at the Thalmor Embassy upon arrival. The Ebony Mail can disappear if given to
- If the Masque of Clavicus Vile is equipped alongside the Ebony Mail, the Dragonborn's head may disappear.
- Hairstyles may not be shrouded with the Ebony Mail's effect, though this has no negative effects on sneaking.
- Wabbajack is used on them to make them transform, it will disappear when they transform back. If a follower carries it while the