|Class: Heavy Armor, Shield|
|Upgrade Material: Ebony Ingot|
|Perk: Ebony Smithing|
Unenchanted armor will begin to appear throughout Skyrim at level 32 and enchanted variants can be found at level 33. They may begin to appear at level 18, though this is extremely rare. These locations include:
- Blacksmiths and General Goods Merchants.
- Found as random loot in chests or as a world item.
- Dropped as random loot by high level Draugr.
- Valthume - Upon entry to one of the rooms, the ghostly image of a Dragon Priest can be seen in the distance. By jumping along the ledge to the left, the player can reach the platform on which the Dragon Priest was standing. By going behind this ledge into the back room, the player can find an Ebony Shield lying upon a rack.
- Labyrinthian - An Ebony Shield can be found lying on top of a skeleton in the same small room where the Ancient Helmet of the Unburned rests.
- Ustengrav - An Ebony Shield is found on a ledge after going down the stairs of the Entrance to Ustengrav Depths. The shield is to the right after the player goes over the small wall, and laying near the edge of the ledge. One can climb back up by jumping on the rocks with the vines.
It can be upgraded with an Ebony Ingot at a workbench and also benefits from the Ebony Smithing perk, which doubles the improvement.
This section contains bugs related to Ebony Shield (Skyrim). Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- vampire characters, the shield will not be shown when equipped, nor will it provide any protection. The bug persists through region transitions, reloads, upgrades, and enchantments. The Ebony Shield and Blades Shield are the only two confirmed shields to be affected by this bug. Removing vampirism solves the problem, but a real fix still hasn't been discovered.
- Also can't mount it on a Shield Rack (since the game doesn't register the player wielding it at all)
- It is still possible to "Power-Bash" with the shield as the movement and sounds still occur as if the shield is still there. It is unknown if any damage is caused though.
- When using the Ebony Shield with the Ebony Sword, the game thinks the shield is the sword, causing visual glitches both in first and third person. The actual sword is sheathed, but the shield acts as the sword. This is purely visual and has no effects on gameplay.