- Main article: Ebony Weapons (Skyrim)
The entire weapon seems to be made out of ebony, with the blade area having the thinnest amount, and the hilt with the thickest. The right side of the blade seems to have complex designs of lines and swirls. The left side does contain similar designs, though to a lesser extent. The hilt appears to have a large amount of ebony tied around to ensure a tight grip, with an area that contains more ebony on top, most likely for precision.
Unenchanted Ebony Swords will begin to appear throughout Skyrim at level 36, and enchanted swords can be found at level 37. These locations include:
- Blacksmiths and general goods merchants.
- Found as random loot in chests, or as a world item throughout Skyrim.
- Wielded by various characters or enemies, mostly Draugr Deathlords and Draugr Death Overlords. Some of them spawn even at low levels and may wield any ebony weapon, mainly an Ebony Sword.
- During the quest "The Wolf Queen Awakened," a Draugr Deathlord can be found wielding an Ebony Sword as low as level 3.
- In Valthume, Draugr Deathlords have a chance to drop an ebony weapon, even at very low levels.
- A Draugr Deathlord wielding any ebony weapon (including an Ebony Sword), along with several Draugr Scourges, may spawn in a final room inside Dustman's Cairn starting at level 1. However, this vicious spawn (at low levels) is caused by an unknown bug.
- During the quest "Tending the Flames," Olaf One-Eye might wield an Ebony Sword, even at lower levels.
- Can also be found in the Lost Valkygg as a Deathlord wields an Ebony Bow and another wields any random ebony weapon, even at low levels.
- Some Draugr Deathlords confronted in Solstheim may wield an Ebony Sword (otherwise—an Ebony War Axe), although it requires the Dragonborn DLC and "The Horn of Jurgen Windcaller" quest completion to activate the main quest of Dragonborn and reach the island itself. Several Draugr Deathlords are scripted and therefore can be found even at level 1. The locations include:
- Raven Rock Mine (final draugr "room" leading to a mysterious wall: there are two scripted Deathlords, one with a leveled bow and arrows (starting with Orcish Bow and arrows), and the other one has a shield and wields an ebony one-handed weapon);
- Kolbjorn Barrow (a Deathlord with an ebony one-handed weapon is confronted after an entrance is dug out).
This section contains bugs related to Ebony Sword. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- If this weapon is placed in a display case, it does not get placed in the middle of the case, but instead it is placed further to the right and the handle sticks out of the side of the case.
- An unenchanted Ebony Sword or other ebony weapons can be found on King Olaf at lower levels.
- Sometimes if a character is equipping a helmet and the Dragonborn beheads him, his head will fall from the body. But if the Dragonborn takes his helmet, his head will return to the body.