- A sample of ectoplasm can be found in Anise's Cabin, in the cellar.
- Another can be found in the Abandoned Prison.
- Four (one on the first floor, three on the second) can be found at the College of Winterhold in the Hall of Countenance.
- There's another one on a table in Jorgen and Lami's House.
- Found in the Alchemy room in some houses that one can own.
- On a table in the final room in Yngvild
- Found on Dragon Cultists in Forelhost.
- Can be found occasionally by searching the 'ghostly remains' of slain Ghosts, but not Corrupted Shades.
- 2–4 can be found inside of the Shrine of Mehrunes Dagon.
- Can be bought at Arcadia's Cauldron.
- 2 can be found in Wuunferth the Unliving's room in the Palace of the Kings in Windhelm.
- 10 can be found on the corpse of Karstaag.DR
- Loot drop from Petra the Hagraven in Blind Cliff Bastion for "The Affairs of Hagravens" quest.
|Restore Magicka||Fortify Destruction||Fortify Magicka||Damage Health|
† multiple effects
Three samples of ectoplasm are required to temper the Ghostblade at a grindstone. Ectoplasm is also used to upgrade the Drainspell Bow, Drainheart Sword and Drainblood Battleaxe at a grindstone. It is required to make elixirs doubling the duration of conjuration spells at the Atronach Forge.
- It is one of only a few alchemical ingredients to also have a use in Smithing, some others being Bone Meal, Void Salts, and Daedra Hearts.
- Ectoplasm has a similar appearance to Spriggan Sap, though Spriggan Sap is greenish while Ectoplasm is pearly white.