Erandur is a Dunmer healer who can be found at the Windpeak Inn in Dawnstar. Early in his life, he was inducted into a cult dedicated to the Daedric Prince Vaermina. After he grew up, he left the order, changing his name from Brother Casimir to Erandur, and dedicating his life to Mara.
During the Civil War, the Dragonborn may have assisted him with eradicating Vaermina's cult, after several citizens of Dawnstar fell victim to gruesome nightmares. After, he may have joined the Dragonborn as a follower, potentially becoming recruited into The Blades.
Erandur was recruited into the cult of Vaermina as a young elf and wasn't allowed to socialize with people outside of the cult, which led to him having what he calls "no childhood to speak of." At some point, Erandur was a member of the Bards College, before his affiliation with Vaermina was discovered.
Cult of Vaermina
He grew up within the cult and lived in Nightcaller Temple until several Orcish invaders, tormented by nightmares left behind by Vaermina, attacked the temple. Realizing that they couldn't hope to defeat the Orcs, and desperate to keep the Skull of Corruption safe, the priests decided to release "the Miasma," a mist of sorts that puts people into a deep sleep. Erandur, then named Brother Casimir, was the one to release it, but before the miasma could take him, he fled, leaving his fellow priests to die. It was an act that haunts him to this day.
Priesthood of Mara
He spent a few years wandering Skyrim until he was taken in by a priest of Mara. He decided to become a priest of Mara himself, although he did have trouble adjusting from the dark and brutal ways of Vaermina to the kind and loving ways of Mara. His fellow priests patiently helped him through the process, and now he has gone back to Dawnstar, where he has to deal with Vaermina's influence on the people.
Speaking with the Jarl of Dawnstar, the Dragonborn learns of a fatal condition pervading the citizens of Dawnstar. Several fall asleep indefinitely, while others complain of dreadful nightmares.
Finding Erandur in the Windpeak Inn, the Dragonborn agrees to follow him to Nightcaller Temple and end the streak of nightmares. There, it is revealed that the Dragonborn must enter the memories of Erandur, using Vaermina's Torpor, an alchemical draught, which reveals Erandur as a former Vaermina cultist. Succeeding, Erandur and the Dragonborn proceed toward the altar of the temple, hoping to destroy the Skull of Corruption and end the nightmares occurring in Dawnstar.
The two are attacked by Veren and Thorek, priests of Vaermina, who accuse Erandur of fleeing from the battle and not falling into a paralytic sleep. Defeating them, the Dragonborn has the option to allow Erandur to perform a ritual and destroy the Skull of Corruption, or take it for themselves. Before making the decision, Vaermina calls out to the Dragonborn, promising great power if he or she chooses to slay Erandur. Choosing to obey rewards them with the Skull of Corruption, while refusing opens Erandur as a follower.
|Main stats at level 50|
- Erandur dual-wields the fire spells Flames and Firebolt, and switches off to a leveled mace when in melee range. He also uses a Ward occasionally when in close combat, often in conjunction with the Flames spell. He sometimes uses a bow to do battle from a distance, mostly if his spells can't reach the enemy.
- If given a one-handed weapon, Erandur will often dual-wield it along with his default mace in combat once he runs out of magicka, though this stops altogether if he is given magicka-restoring potions and jewelry that assists with casting spells.
- Erandur wears a hooded monk robe. He will equip other cheap robes/clothes, including enchanted mage robes, as long as a circlet/helmet of 5 septim or greater is also placed on him. He will also equip light armor or heavy armor given to him, as well as any weaponry superior to his default leveled mace. The Console command
removeallitems playerallows him to equip any type of item given to him. However, he reverts to his default equipment if he is relieved of his services.
- Erandur can be inducted into the Blades once the Dragonborn escorts Delphine and Esbern to Sky Haven Temple. After, he resides in Sky Haven Temple and his default armor switches to Blades armor.
- Erandur is loyal to the player character once he is recruited. For instance, if the player gets into a fight with the Hold Guards, Erandur will fight the guards alongside the player.
In the Windpeak Inn
Irgnir: "It's a curse! It has to be! I've got to get out of this town."
Fruki: "Irgnir, get a hold of yourself. They're just dreams. Please tell her, Erandur."
Erandur: "Listen to your friend, Fruki. They are just dreams, my dear. I assure you that it is quite normal."
Irgnir: "It's the same dream over and over again. You think that's normal? It's evil I tell you!"
Fruki: "Erandur, she has a point. You keep telling us no harm will follow these dreams, but they must be an omen."
Thoring: "Give him a chance to speak. He's trying to help us."
Erandur: "Everyone, please. I'm doing what I can to end these nightmares. In the meantime all I ask is you remain strong and put your trust in Lady Mara."
Irgnir: "I... I will. Thank you..."
|"Markarth has quite the reputation due to the Silver-Blood family. I wouldn't advise crossing them."||Markarth|
|"I was once a student at the Bard's College, until my affiliation with Vaermina was discovered. I haven't been back to Solitude since."||Solitude|
|"Windhelm is absolutely freezing. How can these people tolerate it?"||Windhelm|
|"The College of Winterhold is an amazing sight. I've never set foot on the grounds, though I always wanted to."||College of Winterhold|
|"What an amazing city. I never managed to visit Whiterun, though I always wanted to."||Whiterun|
|"I grew up in the Pale. This land was my home for most of my life… and for a Dunmer, that's quite a statement, I assure you."||The Pale|
|"Riften is the worst Skyrim has to offer. I hope we don't run into any trouble while we're here."||Riften|
|"The Forsworn haven't been kind to Karthwasten. I've heard rumors that they've attacked this place without mercy."||Karthwasten|
|"I've always wanted to make a pilgrimage here to the Temple of Mara. Thank you for bringing me here... you've made me quite happy."||Temple of Mara|
|"These poor souls in eternal servitude..."||Nordic Tomb|
|"What a marvel of engineering. The ancient Nords were ingenious builders."|
|"Watch yourself, these Nordic ruins are notorious for their traps."|
|"These ruins are old, maybe a thousand years or more."|
|"Ugh, this place… horrible."|
|"The thought of the dead rising... makes me sick to my stomach."|
|"This place must be cleansed. These draugr were once living beings and they deserve better."|
|"I have seen the worst of dark magic up close as a priest of Vaermina."||Warlock lair|
|"I've seen my share of black magic, but that's all in the past now."|
|"Let's try and stay together, the sorcerers in these places tend to… well, harvest bodies for parts."|
|"Did you hear that? A metal on stone sound… hmmm, perhaps it was nothing."||Dwemer Ruin|
|"This place could be massive… very easy to get lost. We have to be careful not to lose our way."|
|"I can't imagine what happened to the Dwarves. How could a race with the capability to build a place like this simply vanish?"|
|"I've never been inside a Dwarven ruin. They are simply astounding.|
|"I served as a healer in a fort not unlike this one not long ago."||Fort|
"When I was a young acolyte of Vaermina, I paid my dues in a shrine located within the catacombs of a fort in Cyrodiil."
|"These caves… They harbor ill omens, I can sense it."||Cave|
|"Why anyone would choose to reside down here is beyond me."|
|"It's wonderful to be able to sleep soundly, don't you think?"|
|"Trust in Mara… She'll protect us in this dark place."|
|"Bandits know nothing of pity or mercy. No need to show them any, either."||Bandit camp|
|"A group of bandits descended on Dawnstar once... if it wasn't for the guard, who knows what they could have done to the place."|
|"Bandits are the worst lot. They'd steal from their own mothers given the chance."|
|"A good friend of mine was infected by a vampire long ago. He killed himself rather than change into one of those… things."||Vampire lair|
|"Her Benevolence has taught me patience and mercy, but these vampires deserve none of it."|
|"Vampires are utter abominations. We need to do everything in our power to destroy them."|
|"I've been enjoying this journey with you. Not for the wealth we've accumulated, but just being able to carry Mara's will to every corner of Skyrim."||General quotes|
|"It was difficult to come to the ways of Mara at first, but the fellow priests were kind and quite patient with me."|
|"I always felt a great deal of guilt for running from Nightcaller temple and leaving my friends to die. I'll never forgive myself for that."|
|"I've done a lot of… questionable things in my life. Serving Vaermina was a horrible mistake, and I hope Mara will forgive me one day."|
|"I was recruited as an acolyte of Vaermina as a young elf. I had no real childhood to speak of… we weren't permitted to socialize."|
|"I've never admitted this before, but I've killed more than I care to admit. I'll just leave it at that."|
|"Finding Mara was the greatest moment of my life. I'll never forget the warmth that spread through my heart when we embraced."|
- While Erandur prefers to use Destruction spells and one-handed weapons, these are his lowest combat skills. The
getavinfoconsole command reveals that Conjuration is his highest skill (level 63).
- Choosing to banish the Skull of Corruption and let Erandur perform the ritual makes the Oblivion Walker achievement impossible to obtain, because as there are 16 Daedric artifacts, and the Skeleton Key does not count towards said achievement. It may be possible to get both artifacts from the Hircine quest, enabling the achievement, but it has not been verified that both will count towards the 15 required.
- Erandur, as well as Malyn Varen and several other Dunmer males, are voiced by Keith Szarabajka.
- Interestingly, Erandur's skin color changes depending on what he is wearing: it being a dusty blue shade if he is wearing his default robes or any hooded robes, and a grey with light purple tones if he wears light or heavy armor. The reason for this is unknown.
- During the cleansing of the Nightcaller Temple, Erandur has a few lines of unique combat dialogue, such as, "For Lady Mara!" However, if he is saved at the end of the quest, he will no longer use this combat dialogue, and will instead mostly use standard Dunmer combat dialogue.
- Checking his inventory after he is spared during Waking Nightmare will reveal that, as well as his default gear, he is also carrying 8 torches. These aren't marked as "his," and so they can be taken freely.
- Although Erandur prefers to cast spells, his magicka pool is actually very small, and it does not increase as he levels up.
- When he casts the Flames spell on the totem of Vaermina in Nightcaller Temple, he uses a unique animation; his palms face up when casting the spell. However, if he is saved, he does not use this different animation again when dual-casting Flames.
- console commands, he loses his unique dialogues. If Skull of Corruption is chosen over Erandur and the latter is resurrected and converted into a follower via
- Sylgja, a female miner in Shor's Stone, mentions having a bad fall in the mine, and being healed by a priest of Mara who was traveling to Dawnstar. This priest is most likely Erandur.
This section contains bugs related to Erandur. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- Sometimes when speaking to the Jarl of Dawnstar, the dialogue option relating to the nightmares haunting the people of Dawnstar is unavailable. Speaking with Erandur at Windpeak Inn instead sparks the quest.
- Upon entering Nightcaller Temple during "Waking Nightmare," Erandur may teleport to the Dreamstride, causing the quest to be impossible to complete.
- To resolve with console commands enter
prid 0024280, then
moveto player. This teleports Erandur to the player's location.
- To resolve with console commands enter
- When in the Nightcaller Temple he gets stuck on the steps and will not move forward.
- To fix this, sprint into him to make him stumble backwards, up the stairs. Once at the top he should return to normal.
- Using Unrelenting Force to throw Erandur to the top of the stairs will also work to unstick him.