The first vessel can be found in the Valthume area inside the room with the Draugr Deathlord that has two holes in the ceiling to the sky (requires activating a handle across an apparent dead end from an iron gate that causes a hidden door to open as well as the gate). It's possible that during the heat of the fight, the vessel might get knocked over so search the floor and in the bushes in the room. It looks much like an empty wine bottle, but will be labeled "opaque vessel"; the map arrow will show the location, but there will be no arrow shown in the room.
The second vessel is located in the catacombs in the locked room with a cage. When entering the first room there may be a Chest and a Large Frostbite Spider with 1-3 smaller spiders with it. The cage with the vessel in it can be unlocked by pulling a chain after setting the correct combination on the rotating kiosks: dragon, hawk, wolf. It is the room with the three flamethrower pillars in it.
Upon returning to Valdar, he will say that by pouring out the contents of the vessels, the lich entombed in the caves will be deprived from regaining its full power. After the Dragonborn pours the vessel contents into the sconce and sits in the throne, Valdar will reanimate Hevnoraak, who will still be formidable. (It should be noted that after sitting on the throne, the Dragonborn can immediately exit the throne and find a hiding spot before Hevnoraak appears. This can give sneaky characters a better chance to sneak attack him with a bow.) Valdar then awakens the dragon priest Hevnoraak.
Hevnoraak casts powerful lightning spells at the Dragonborn and summons Storm Atronachs. Beware of the lightning that Hevnoraak casts on the ground as it is debilitating to health and magicka.
When defeated, Hevnoraak will drop the mask Hevnoraak which makes its wearer immune to both disease and poisons.
A spirit known as Valdar has asked me to collect three vessels in Valthume to defeat the Dragon Priest Hevnoraak.
Valdar has asked me to collect three vessels in Valthume to defeat the Dragon Priest Hevnoraak. I brought the vessels to Valdar who told me the vessels contained the blood of Hevnoraak. I am to use this blood in a ritual to defeat him.
Valdar has asked me to collect three vessels in Valthume to defeat the Dragon Priest Hevnoraak. I brought the vessels to Valdar who told me the vessels contained the blood of Hevnoraak. I used the blood to weaken and awaken Hevnoraak, and defeated him.
has asked me to collect three vessels in Valthume to defeat the Dragon Priest Hevnoraak. I brought the vessels to Valdar who told me the vessels contained the blood of Hevnoraak. I used the blood to weaken and awaken Hevnoraak, and defeated him. Valdar told me to take his iron mask and faded away.
- If a follower is commanded to sit on the throne, Valdar will release Hevnoraak as normal allowing the Dragonborn to choose a better location to attack Hevnoraak from.
- The title is a reference to Bethesda Softwork's game The Evil Within which was in development 1 year prior to the release of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and released 3 years after.
This section contains bugs related to Evil in Waiting. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- If the epilogue in the journal is read after completing the quest, the title will be misspelled as "Vader" (rather than "Valdar").
- The second vessel may be knocked behind the wall by Unrelenting Force, leaving the quest impossible to complete.
- Occasionally, using Unrelenting Force on and around the vessel enough times will put it in an obtainable position. This may be extremely difficult to accomplish, however.
The puzzle door needing the dragon claw to open may sometimes freeze, rendering it impossible to use.
setstage dunValthumeQST 10and return to where Hevnoraak lies (in Valthume). If the Dragonborn returns to the door after defeating Hevnoraak, it will begin to function properly and the word of power can then be received. Enter the console code
- Save at the door and reload the game to fix the bug. If this does not work, it may be necessary to reload the game to a save made prior to entering the ruins.
- Enter the console code
- The spikes blocking the word wall may reactivate. This will leave the Dragonborn trapped. A fix can be to either load to an earlier save, or open the spikes by shooting arrows at the pedestal, upon which the Opaque Vessel was previously placed. Using the Unrelenting Force shout on the pedestal will also work, provided at least two words of the shout have already been attained. (Otherwise, simply jump on the activation block to lower the spikes).
- The quest may not be marked as completed when Hevnoraak is defeated. Speak to Valdar to fix this issue.