After completing "The Horn of Jurgen Windcaller," this repeatable miscellaneous quest becomes available. It is obtained by asking Arngeir, the Greybeard, in High Hrothgar, if he has located any Words of Power.
- Find the Word of Power in ... (Word Wall location)
After speaking to Arngeir and asking if he has located any Words of Power, Arngeir will direct the Dragonborn to one of the locations that contains an active Word of Power. Traveling to the location, finding and learning the word will complete the quest.
The Dragonborn may, then, return to Arngeir and again ask if he has located another Word of Power. This will restart this quest for a new word in a different location.
Words of Power locationsEdit
- Note: The order in which they are provided is random.
Arngeir will direct the Hero to one of the following locations.
After the Dragonborn has learned the words contained in all of these locations, Arngeir will not provide the quest anymore, leaving the Dragonborn to find the remaining ones on their own.
Remaining Words of PowerEdit
The following locations contain Words of Power that Arngeir does not provide with this quest:
|Locations||Word of Power||Quests to unlock location|
|Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary||Marked for Death||"With Friends Like These..."|
|Dead Crone Rock||Dismay||Exploration
or "Pieces of the Past"
|Dimhollow Crypt DG||Drain Vitality||"Awakening"|
|Dustman's Cairn||Fire Breath||"Proving Honor"|
|Forgotten Vale DG||Drain Vitality||"Touching the Sky"|
|Frostmere Crypt||Ice Form||"The Pale Lady"|
|Korvanjund||Slow Time||"The Jagged Crown"|
|Labyrinthian||Slow Time||"The Staff of Magnus"|
|Saarthal||Ice Form||"Under Saarthal"|
|Skuldafn||Storm Call||"The World-Eater's Eyrie"|
|Snow Veil Sanctum||Disarm||"Speaking With Silence"|
|Ustengrav||Become Ethereal||"The Horn of Jurgen Windcaller"|
|Ysgramor's Tomb||Animal Allegiance||Exploration
or "Glory of the Dead"
- There are more than forty Word Walls in total.
- The reason why Arngeir will not point to some Word Walls may be because many of these locations are visited as part of other major questlines. In some cases, these locations remain inaccessible to the Dragonborn until they proceed far enough in those questlines.
- The three individual words of a single shout appear in the correct order, they do not depend on the order in which they are visited.
- This quest may be active at the same time as the other similar repeatable quest to find Words of Power: "Find the Source of Power."
- If the quest "Lifting the Shroud" is active in the quest log, or unfinished, Arngeir will not provide Shroud Hearth Barrow's word wall as a target.
This section contains bugs related to Find the Word of Power. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- Dawnguard is not installed) It is possible to receive this quest for the Arcwind Point word, although, acquiring the word does not complete the quest. The quest will then remain incomplete and will prevent Arngeir from providing more word wall's locations.
(Note: This bug does not occur if
- console command SetStage FreeFormHighHrothgarA 20 can be used to complete the quest, however Arngeir may give the quest again. Fix: The
- Fix: By going to Northwind Summit to enable it's Word of Power (If it wasn't already done).
- Fix: Loading a save from before asking Arngeir for a word location and getting another location.