Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Fishing is an activity in The Elder Scrolls Online which can be performed at fishing holes found all over Tamriel. Players are automatically given a starter fishing pole which does not show up in the players inventory. Players only have to find the fishing holes and bait. When next to a fishing hole, activating it will start the fishing animation, which will end when the player has caught something. While fishing, the player cannot participate in other activities (such as chat or inventory management) without cancelling the attempt.
Fishing Holes can be found in most water sources across Tamriel. They appear as a small area of rippling water with fish jumping around in it. A fishing hole will provide a small number of fish or other items before it drys up and disappears. Currently, it is unknown how many fish a fishing hole can hold, whether all fishing holes hold similar amounts, whether fishing holes respawn in the same locations, or how long it takes for a fishing hole to respawn. While the player can use any bait at a fishing hole, the chances for catching a fish, or rare fish for the achievement, are increased significantly by using the appropriate bait types for the water type.
There are currently four types of water in Tamriel: Lake, River, Ocean, and Foul Water. Each type has its own type of fish, its own rare fish, and requires certain baits to be most effective.
- Lakes can be found all over Tamriel and each has the chance to spawn fishing holes. Bait for lakes includes guts and minnows. The regular fish available in lakes are Spadetail, Silverside Perch, and Shad.
- Rivers are found all over Tamriel and are usually connect to a lake or the ocean. Bait for rivers includes insect parts and shad. The regular fish available in rivers are Salmon, River Betty, and Fish Roe.
- Ocean fishing holes can be found all along the coast and usually there is one near major city docks. Bait for oceans includes worms or chub. The regular fish available in oceans are Dhufish, Longfin, and Minnows.
- Foul water is found in sewers, swamps, pools with bodies, and other polluted or tainted water sources in Tamriel. Bait for foul water includes crawlers and fish roe. The regular fish available in foul water are Slaughterfish, Trodh, and Chub.
Bait can be gathered around Tamriel, drop off of certain mobs, or be bought from merchants (Simple Bait). For the most success in fishing, use the right bait for the right water source.
- Guts drop off small level 1 passive mobs such as Frogs , Rats, and Chickens. They are used in Lakes.
- Minnows can only be found by fishing in the Ocean. They are used in Lakes.
- Insect parts can be harvested from butterflies or torchbugs. They are used in Rivers.
- Shad can only be found by fishing in Lakes. They are used in Rivers.
- Worms can be found when harvesting plants and drop off of undead mobs. They are used in the Ocean.
- Chub can only be found by fishing in Foul Water. It is used in the Ocean.
- Crawlers are found by killing small passive spiders and harvesting plants. They are used in Foul Water.
- Fish roe can only be found by fishing in Rivers. It is used in Foul Water.
- Simple Bait can be bought from any merchant for 15.
Used Bait, which is often found when fishing, is completely useless, as it cannot be used as bait despite being labelled as such.
With 1.3.3 patch Used Bait is no longer listed as bait. If you get used bait, it means you are using the wrong bait for the location. It's been suggested elsewhere to use Simple Bait if you don't know what type of watering hole you're at until you catch a fish, then swap to the appropriate bait.
Each fishing attempt can yield any of the following:
- Fish specific to the water type.
- One of three rare fish specific to the water type.
- Used Bait (junk item)
- Wet Gunny Sack (which can contain small items such as Glyphs, Gold, and Crafting Supplies)
Each region of Tamriel has twelve rare fish. Catching all the rare fish in a region will reward and achievement and doing so in every region of Tamriel will reward an achievement and the title Master Angler. Each water type in the zone will have 3 rare fish associated with it. For instance, you will find Muskie, Blackspotted Pike, and Shimmerpike by fishing in Rivers in Auridon, but not Oceans or Lakes. It has been stated that multiple people fishing at the same hole will increase the chances of finding a rare fish however it will also cause the fishing hole to dry up faster. There was a bug where the player was unable to loot the rare fish, but this has now been patched.
Uses for fishEdit
Fish were originally included as provisioning and alchemy ingredients, however that use was removed early in the Beta. Currently, they are listed as trophies and provide a small amount of gold when sold to vendors. They can also be used to create "fish", a provisioning ingredient, by selecting the "Use" option in the inventory.
- Players have reported that fishing in Stonefalls has a very small chance to reward the player with Trueflame, Nerevar's blade that was lost during the Battle of Red Mountain. However, this occurrence is extremely rare and the blade cannot be traded once acquired. It is unknown why this was included in the game, as Trueflame was broken into three pieces and scattered during the Battle of Red Mountain, yet you can acquire it whole.confirmation needed
This section contains bugs related to Fishing (Online). Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- When fishing rare fish, they will not enter your inventory after being looted. However, they will still count towards the achievement in your journal.
- Since updated in the 1.3.3 patch. They now enter inventory and can be sold for around 110g. Though "green" fish sell for nothing.