|Skill Level||Novice (00)|
|Effect||A gout of fire that does 8 points per second. Targets on fire take extra damage.|
|Spell Tome||Purchase/Specific Dungeons|
From the beginning, the Dragonborn already knows this spell. When using the flames spell, they shoot fire from one or both hands. The flame has a short range, but passes through enemies, so it's possible to hit several enemies at once. When enemies are on fire, they take extra damage from other weapons, which makes Flames a good spell to wield alongside a one-handed weapon, though the bonus added is minor, and targets don't stay on fire for very long.
The flames spell may provide the best damage per magicka ratio. When combined with the perk Augmented Flames, the damage dealt per second to a target's health increases from eight to twelve. The addition of the Illusion perk, Aspect of Terror, increases the damage to twenty two per second. If Aspect of Terror is taken after both ranks of Augmented Flames, the extra ten damage will be augmented for a total of twenty seven. Also targets on fire receive additional burning damage.
- Weight: 1
- Value: 50
- See Spell Tome for a complete table of spell tomes, their descriptions, and their values.
- A Spell Tome containing Flames is in the Labyrinthian Chasm.
- Faralda sells flames spell tomes, as well as other Destruction magic tomes.
- Flames spell tomes may be created using the Atronach Forge.
- It is found as random loot on mages.
- A Flames Spell Tome can be found in Mzulft.
- All races begin the game with this spell by default, so it is curious that a Spell Tome for it exists. Equally strange is the fact that in locations where fire is needed to progress in a dungeon, a spell tome is provided.
- Also strange is the fact that the spell cannot be removed via the console, as is true of Healing.
- Places with traces of oil, gas or even lanterns can be exploited with a flame spell to create an area of effect-like spell. As with any area of effect, this can hit the Dragonborn, companions, bystanders and foes alike.
- When casting flames with the left hand, and then moving away from the place it was originally cast (all while casting flames) the spell's noise will stay at the original casting location.
If the attack button is just barely tapped while the spell is equipped it may lock the animation in the hand to that of casting the spell, rather than the inactive animation.
- Tapping again or casting the spell corrects this.
|Arniel's Convection • Blizzard • Chain Lightning • Fire Storm • Fireball • Firebolt • Fire Rune • Flame Cloak • Flames • Frost Cloak • Frostbite • Frost Rune • Ice Spike • Ice Storm • Incinerate • Icy Spear • Lightning Bolt • Lightning Cloak • Lightning Rune • Lightning Storm • Sparks • Thunderbolt • Wall of Flames • Wall of Frost • Wall of Storms • Vampiric Drain|
|Schools of Magic|
|Alteration • Conjuration • Destruction • Illusion • Restoration|
|Destruction Ritual Spell • Magicka • Perks • Magic • The College of Winterhold • Destruction trainers • Runes • Disintegrate|