|Skill Level||Novice (00)|
|Effect||A gout of fire that does 8 points per second. Targets on fire take extra damage.|
|Spell Tome||Purchase/Specific Dungeons|
From the beginning, the Dragonborn already knows this spell. When using the flames spell, they shoot fire from one or both hands. The flame has a short range, but passes through enemies, so it's possible to hit several enemies at once. When enemies are on fire, they take extra damage from other weapons, which makes Flames a good spell to wield alongside a one-handed weapon, though the bonus added is minor, and targets don't stay on fire for very long.
- The flames spell may provide the best damage per magicka ratio.
-Targets on fire receive additional burning damage.
- The addition of the Illusion perk, Aspect of Terror, increases the damage to twenty two per second. If Aspect of Terror is taken after both ranks of Augmented Flames, the extra ten damage will be augmented for a total of twenty seven.
- Weight: 1
- Value: 50
- See Spell Tome for a complete table of spell tomes, their descriptions, and their values.
- A spell tome containing Flames is in the Labyrinthian Chasm.
- Faralda sells the Flames spell tome, as well as other Destruction magic tomes.
- Courtmages sell these tomes.
- It is found as random loot on mages.
- A Flames spell tome can be found in Mzulft.
- All races begin the game with this spell by default, so it is curious that a Spell Tome for it exists. Equally strange is the fact that in locations where fire is needed to progress in a dungeon, a spell tome is provided.
- This could mean that it was originally intended for the Dragonborn to not know the spell.
- It is also possible they were added in anticipation of custom race mods where your character may not start off with this spell.
- Arguably included as 'landscape' - leaving what would be a common item in the game world out simply because it isn't of use to the player character would 'look' wrong.
- Also strange is the fact that the spell cannot be removed via the console, as is true of Healing.
- Places with traces of oil, gas or even lanterns can be exploited with a flame spell to create an area of effect-like spell. As with any area of effect, this can hit the Dragonborn, companions, bystanders and foes alike.
- When casting flames with the left hand, and then moving away from the place it was originally cast (all while casting flames) the spell's noise will stay at the original casting location.
If the attack button is just barely tapped while the spell is equipped it may lock the animation in the hand to that of casting the spell, rather than the inactive animation.
- Tapping again or casting the spell corrects this.
|Arniel's Convection • Blizzard • Chain Lightning • Fire Storm • Fireball • Firebolt • Fire Rune • Flame Cloak • Flames • Frost Cloak • Frostbite • Frost Rune • Ice Spike • Ice Storm • Incinerate • Icy Spear • Lightning Bolt • Lightning Cloak • Lightning Rune • Lightning Storm • Sparks • Thunderbolt • Wall of Flames • Wall of Frost • Wall of Storms • Vampiric Drain|
|Freeze • Ignite • Whirlwind Cloak|
|Schools of Magic|
|Alteration • Conjuration • Destruction • Illusion • Restoration|
|Destruction Ritual Spell • Magicka • Perks • Magic • The College of Winterhold • Destruction trainers • Runes • Disintegrate|