Followers are characters featured in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion who can follow the Hero of Kvatch to most places around Cyrodiil. They may be given the commands "Wait" (to stay where they are), "Follow", and "Go away" (to have them leave). Followers are generally non-essential characters, and may die—though (with the exception of the Knights of the Nine), they will eventually respawn and can be found at their original location.
Permanent followers can be asked to accompany the Hero, they will follow them until they die, are asked to wait, or asked to leave.
- Two Mage Apprentices (after completing "Confront the King").
- A Dark Brotherhood Murderer (after completing "Honor Thy Mother").
- The Adoring Fan (after the Arena Grand Champion fight).
- Any of the Knights of the Nine accepted to join the ranks as knight (after completing "Umaril the Unfeathered").
- A Flame, Frost or Storm Atronach (with the Wizard's Tower add-on).
- Battlehorn Man-At-Arms and mage (in the Fighter's Stronghold add-on).
- Ushnar's Skinned Hound, after finishing Ushnar's quest in Crucible (Shivering Isles). Can follow the Hero back to Cyrodiil and heals when the Hero waits or sleeps, cannot be told to wait or follow.
- The Golden Saint and Dark Seducer escorts after finishing main quest-line for Shivering Isles (cannot follow to Cyrodiil).
Temporary followers are only available during certain quests. Despite following for certain quest, they will go anywhere the Hero goes.
- Martin and Jauffre during the "Weynon Priory" quest.
- Mazoga the Orc During the "Mazoga the Orc" quest.
- Modryn Oreyn and Maglir, at multiple points during the Fighters Guild questline.
- Erthor during the "Skingrad Recommendation" quest for the Mages Guild.
- Guilbert and Reynald Jemane during the quest "Legacy Lost."
- Umbacano during the quest "The Collector."
- Amusei during the quest Lost Histories
- It is possible to have multiple followers or all of them (with the exception of the Apprentice and Erthor) at once, and six of them will not die. Also, Velwyn Benirus, whom the Hero bought Benirus Manor in Anvil from, will follow while the manor is being cleansed. There are others possible also. The surviving guards (such as Savlian Matius) may follow the Hero during the "Breaking the Siege of Kvatch" quest.
- When there are four or more followers the message, "You have too many followers" will appear. This message can be ignored because it may not do anything other than slow down your game.
- The only follower who will not fight is the Adoring Fan. He only stands around and gives light in dark places with a torch. During combat, he will run away, and return when combat ends.