Followers are characters featured in Oblivion who can follow the Hero of Kvatch around Cyrodiil. They may be given the commands "Wait" (to stay where they are), "Follow", and "Go away" (to have them leave). Followers are generally non-essential characters, and may die - though (with the exception of the Knights of the Nine), they will eventually respawn and can be found at their original location.
Permanent followers can be asked to accompany the Hero, they will follow them until they die or are asks to wait or leave.
- A Mage Apprentice (after completing Confront the King).
- A Dark Brotherhood Murderer (after completing Honor Thy Mother).
- The Adoring Fan (after the Arena Grand Champion fight).
- Any of the Knights of the Nine accepted to join the ranks as knight (after completing Umaril the Unfeathered).
- A Flame, Frost or Storm Atronach (with the Wizard's Tower download).
- Battlehorn Man-At-Arms and Mage (in the Fighter's Stronghold download).
- Ushnar's Skinned Hound, after finishing Ushnar's quest in Crucible (Shivering Isles). Can follow the Hero back to Cyrodil and heals when the Hero waits or sleeps, cannot be told to wait or anything else.
- The Golden Saint and Dark Seducer escorts after finishing main quest-line for Shivering Isles (cannot follow to Cyrodiil).
Temporary followers are only available during certain quests. Despite following for certain quest, they will go anywhere the Hero goes.
- Martin and Jauffre during the Weynon Priory quest.
- Mazoga During the Mazoga the Orc quest.
- Modryn Oreyn and Maglir, at multiple points during the Fighters Guild questline.
- Erthor during the Skingrad Recommendation for the Mages Guild.
- Guilbert and Reynald Jemane during the quests Separated at Birth and Legacy Lost.
- Umbacano during the quest The Collector.
- It is possible to have multiple followers or all (with the exception of the Apprentice and Erthor) at once, and six of them will not die. Also, Velwyn Berinus, whom the Hero bought Berinus Manor in Anvil from, will follow while the manor is being cleansed. There are others possible also. Various guards and Captains (such as Savlian Matius) can follow the Hero in the Breaking the Siege of Kvatch quest.
- When there are four or more followers the message, "You have too many followers" will appear, but it can be ignored because it doesn't have any effect.
- The only follower who will not fight is the Adoring Fan. He only stands around and gives light in dark places with a torch. During combat, he will run away, and return when combat ends.