Below the College of Winterhold, in The Midden Dark, lies a Daedric Relic. In the center of a room upon a pillar stands a Gauntlet with the Daedric letter "Oht" glowing in the palm. On a table nearby, The Dragonborn will find the Midden Incident Report, which details the fate of the deceased students surrounding the Relic, and the Investigator's Key. According to the report, The Relic was unable to be moved, so the author instead pried off the four rings found left behind on the Gauntlet. The rings were then stored in The Arcanaeum, in the Master Investigators Box. The box may be opened with the Investigator's Key, or picking the Master-level lock.
The names and order of the rings are as follows:
- Katarina's Ring (Relic Index Finger)
- Treoy's Ring (Relic Middle Finger)
- Balwen's Ring (Relic Ring Finger)
- Pithiken's Ring (Relic Little Finger)
Upon placing all of the rings on the Relic, Velehk Sain is summoned from the Gauntlet and offers the Dragonborn a bargain. He informs that the Gauntlet was part of a binding spell that held him in Mundus, and, despite his admitting to have killed the students, tries persuasion to free him in exchange for wealth. This wealth is the result of excess booty which came from a captured and looted Imperial Galleon that he was unable to carry. To stash the treasure, he hid his cache both geographically and magically.
To release him, the Dragonborn must say "Velehk Sain I release you." He will laugh, give his thanks, and portal away. A treasure map will then appear in the inventory, which leads to a chest at the base of a Shrine of Talos west of the College of Winterhold. The chest will appear as if by portal when the Dragonborn gets near the spot depicted in the map. See the treasure page for details.
Alternately, the Dragonborn may attempt to get rid of him by saying "Velehk Sain I banish you to Oblivion." This will fail, and Velehk Sain will then attack. If he is defeated, his body will only hold two Scimitars, Hammerfell Garb, Redguard Boots, and a Daedra Heart.
- It is possible to kill Velehk after the map is given and before he teleports away, but this will prevent the Dragonborn from receiving the treasure.
- It is not possible to take the rings back off the statue once Velehk is summoned; the fingers close and remain in a fist, preventing the player from taking the rings off.
This section contains bugs related to Forgotten Names. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- Sometimes, when finding the gauntlet for the first time, the quest will not show up in the quest tab.
- The rings might disappear if stored in a chest, even if it's considered a safe container.
- Urag gro-Shub while taking the rings, they will appear to be gone. If caught by
|College of Winterhold Quests|
|Main Quest||First Lessons • Under Saarthal • Hitting the Books • Good Intentions|
Revealing the Unseen • Containment • The Staff of Magnus • The Eye of Magnus
|Side Quests||Arniel's Endeavor • J'zargo's Experiment • Brelyna's Practice|
Onmund's Request • Out of Balance • Rejoining the College
|Master Spell Quests||Alteration Ritual Spell • Destruction Ritual Spell • Conjuration Ritual Spell|
Illusion Ritual Spell • Restoration Ritual Spell
|Radiant Quests||Aftershock • Tolfdir the Absent-Minded • Fetch Me That Book!|
Shalidor's Insights • Enchanting Pick-Up • Restocking Soul Gems
|Other Quests||Lost Apprentices • Forgotten Names|