Fort Fellhammer is a fort located in Winterhold and is occupied by bandits. However, if the quest "Stealing Plans"—given by Aela the Huntress during the Companions main quest—is active, it may be repopulated with Silver Hand.
The first time Fort Fellhammer is entered, it will be inhabited by bandits. On subsequent visits, Silver Hand have taken up residence. In either case, the walkthrough is essentially the same. As with many of the semi-ruinous forts throughout Skyrim, there is a breach in the outer wall here, meaning the player can avoid the main entrance if planning a stealth attack.
Upon approaching the fort one will encounter several bandits/Silver Hand. The fort's rounded, spacious perimeter makes the enemy attacks easy to predict. After they have been cleared out, move to the top of the fort and enter the garrison.
Fort Fellhammer GarrisonEdit
This is a simple, two room affair. The Bandit Chief/Silver Hand Leader is in the second room. Dispatch him and Fort Fellhammer is safe. Grab the Fellhammer Mine Key from his corpse, loot the boss chest behind him and head back out to the fort.
Fort Fellhammer MinesEdit
The door to the mines is at the rear of the fort courtyard. Pick the expert lock, or use the key looted from the leader's corpse. The mine is spiral-shaped, looping around and under itself before ending abruptly. A shaft connects the two levels. A tripwire/rock fall trap can be found on the lower level, although it is likely an enemy will activate this before it is reached. There are ten iron ore veins to mine, and the Heavy Armor Skill Book Orsinium and the Orcs to collect from the table on the lower level.
- Directly straight upon reaching the fork, can be found on the left side.
- Down the tunnel to then end of the first hall, located in the ground.
- Travel back to the fork and turn left. Walk a few paces forward before going down the ramp; it can be found on the right side.
- Go to the end of the passage where it turns right. Upon reaching the next fork, it will be on the left side in the ground. Another vein can be found directly above it.
- Keep going straight through the fork, is at the dead end.
- Turn, go back to the fork and turn left, past the desk and first pile of boxes. The vein will be on right before reaching another box and 3 barrels.
- Directly past the barrels of #6 to the left.
- At the end of the shaft, to the left.
- To the right of #8 on the wall.
- Orsinium and the Orcs (Heavy Armor)
- Plentiful iron ore
- Orcish Dagger (Garrison)
- Minor Health Potions (Garrison)
- Chest contents (Garrison)
- Garnet on top of a barrel at the far end of the mines.
- The Black Arrow, Book I
- Rising Threat, Vol. IV
- Dwemer Inquiries Vol II
- Dwemer Inquiries Vol III
- The Song of Pelinal, Book VIII
- Orsinium and the Orcs
- Physicalities of Werewolves
- Possible location for the Rescue radiant quest if siding with the Dawnguard.
- Possible location for the Helm of Winterhold.
- The name of the fort is an anagram of the province of Hammerfell.
- It is a possible location for Kharjo's Moon Amulet.
- Fort Fellhammer, Kastav, and Hraggstad are the only military forts to not originally appear in The Elder Scrolls: Arena.
This section contains bugs related to Fort Fellhammer. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- The ores within the mine may never respawn. There is no known fix or cause.