The fort is composed of a courtyard, a prison and the captain's quarters. A ritual table is found at the very top of the main structure, accessible by a ladder located in the Captain's Quarters.
The fort is initially inhabited by a group of Conjurers and Necromancers along with several skeletons. If the Dragonborn sides with the Empire during the Civil War, the fort will be inhabited by Stormcloak Soldiers after assignment of the Rescue from Fort Kastav quest. Once completed, the fort will be garrisoned by Imperial Legion soldiers. The fort is not initially garrisoned by soldiers if the Civil War is won by the Stormcloaks; however, if the fort is cleared of mages, Stormcloak soldiers will garrison the fort once more after an in-game week.
Although the main road does not go through the fort itself, its close proximity makes it difficult to travel the road without being noticed and attacked if the fort contains enemies.
- Master Conjurer
- Stormcloak Soldiers (during the Rescue from Fort Kastav quest)
Fort Kastav Captain's QuartersEdit
The higher part of the room contains a bed, an end table with a skill book and a ladder leading outside to the roof of the building with an altar. A chest is found in the lower section of the room as well as a key of the Fort Kastav Prison.
Fort Kastav PrisonEdit
The prison can be entered from the courtyard and from a grate outside the fort near the southern wall. The prison itself contains beds for the soldiers and guards and five cells similar in style to those found in other forts such as Fort Neugrad.
- An Alchemy Lab in the courtyard, if the fort is occupied by Mages.
- A Grindstone in the courtyard
- A Workbench if the fort is garrisoned by soldiers.
- Scroll of Conjure Frost Atronach - can be found in the Captain's Quarters.
- Warrior (Block) – can be found in the Captain's Quarters.
- A Scroll of Conjure Familiar, Void Salts and Fire Salts can be found on the altar.
Sneak into the fort and release the Legion soldiers held captive inside.
Claim Fort Kastav.
- The fort is most likely named after the first era Emperor Kastav, who was ruling during the events of the Winterhold Rebellion. confirmation needed
- Fort Kastav, Hraggstad, and Fellhammer are the only military forts to not originally appear in The Elder Scrolls: Arena.