He is friends with Runa Fair-Shield, Hroar, Samuel and Aventus Aretino. He says that a year ago his parents dropped him off at the orphanage and left him waiting for them to return for him. If the Dragonborn goes there to adopt him, he is open to this until his real parents come and get him.
While Grelod the Kind is alive, Francois is miserable and depressed. However, he still harbors hope that his parents will return, something that Grelod intends to eliminate. Because of Grelod's cruelty, Francois is convinced that the woman is part Hagraven. When Grelod is killed, he is overjoyed to see her gone, as are the other children.
"I do hope mummy and father come to get me soon. Ever since that Aventus boy left, Grelod has been so angry."
- Who is Aventus? "Oh, Aventus Arentino. He was sent here when his mother died, but he ran away. I heard he went back to his house in Windhelm, and is trying to get the Dark Brotherhood to come and murder Grelod. That would be so wonderful."
- Tell me about Grelod the Kind. "Miss Grelod is... well she's a terrible old crone. No person could be that cruel. I think she's part hagraven. She only lets us out in the yard once. In the morning. And she just stands there watching us. Like I said. Hagraven."
"All right, then."
Grelod "Those who shirk their duties will get an extra beating. Do I make myself clear?"
Samuel "Yes, Grelod."
Runa "Yes, Grelod."
Hroar "Yes, Grelod."
Francois "Yes, Grelod."
Grelod "And one more thing! I will hear no more talk of adoptions! None of you riff-raff is getting adopted. Nobody needs you, nobody wants you. That, my darlings, is why you're here. Why you'll always be here, until you come of age and get thrown into that wide, horrible world. Now, what do you all say?"
Samuel "We love you, Grelod. Thank you for your kindness."
Runa "We love you, Grelod. Thank you for your kindness."
Hroar "We love you, Grelod. Thank you for your kindness."
Francois "We love you, Grelod. Thank you for your kindness."
Grelod "That's better. Now scurry off, my little guttersnipes."
- "My parents dropped me off here a year ago. But they're coming back to get me. They said so."
- "I do hope mummy and father come to get me soon. Ever since that Aventus boy left, Grelod has been so angry."
- "You look kind of scary. But nobody is scarier than old Grelod."
- "Constance Michel says we have to be careful of people we don't know."