When talking about her childhood, Frea says that she was an angry child and that the previous chieftain taught her battle skills so that she could put that fire to good use. She also says that one day her mother went to gather firewood in a blizzard and never returned. During the final quest in the Dragonborn storyline, Frea will admit to the Dragonborn that being the shaman of the Skaal was not the path she chose, and that she was hoping instead to be a hunter or chieftain. However, she knows it is her place and accepts it.
Upon first meeting her at the Temple of Miraak, she is attempting to help her fellow villagers escape Miraak's Curse whilst her father Storn, the Skaal's shaman, protects what remains of the free-willed villagers from suffering the same fate.
Frea will then accompany the Dragonborn through the temple, helping with the fight against the draugr and cultists. Frea gives advice to the Dragonborn and acts almost like a guide to them. For instance, she makes the Dragonborn run through a sprung trap because she thinks that they will have a better chance of survival.
At the end of The Temple of Miraak quest and the start of this one, she leads the Dragonborn back to her village to talk to her father.
Upon returning to Solstheim upon completion of this quest, Frea approaches and remarks:
"I can feel it. The Tree Stone is free again. The Oneness of the land is restored. Does that mean... is it over? Is Miraak defeated?"
- It's over. Miraak is dead: "Then my father's sacrifice... it was not in vain. He died to free us. Tell me... was it the only way? Did he need to die?"
- I couldn't have defeated Miraak without Storn's help: "Then... it was the All-Maker's will, as he said. I know I should not doubt it. But it is good to hear, all the same. Thank you."
- Hermaeus Mora killed Storn, remember. Not Miraak: "I know. The Skaal will not forget this. Storn's death will become another of many tales of Herma-Mora's treachery."
- Hermaeus Mora wouldn't have helped me without Storn's sacrifice: "Yes, his "help" which did not require him to kill my father. Such is the way of Herma-Mora, the eternal enemy of the Skaal."
- Storn didn't die for nothing. Miraak will never threaten Solstheim again: "Thank you. Whatever your other reasons for acting, you have done the Skaal a great service. We will not forget what you've done."
- I killed Miraak, but Hermaeus Mora is still out there: "It was Miraak who threatened Solstheim. With him gone, Herma-Mora has been foiled once again."
Finally, she offers some advice:
"One more thing, Skaal-friend, if you will. I know it is not my place but... may I offer a word of advice... of warning?"
Sure, what is it?: "As shaman of the Skaal, I am charged with the spiritual well-being of my people. While you are not of the Skaal, you are Skaal-friend, and so I give you this warning. Herma-Mora forced you to serve him in order to defeat Miraak. Do not let him lure you further down that path. The All-Maker made you Dragonborn for a higher purpose. Do not forget that. Walk with the All-Maker, Skaal-friend."
|Show: The Temple of Miraak|
|At the Temple of Miraak:
"You there. What brings you to this place? Why are you here?"
While going through the Temple:
"Are you ready to help me now? We should not delay."
After reading the Black Book: Waking Dreams:
"What happened to you? You read the book and then... It seemed as though you were not really here. I could see you, but also see through you!"
|Show: The Fate of the Skaal|
|Between the Temple of Miraak and Skaal Village:
"You see that green light? That comes from the Wind Stone, where my people work against their will. They must be freed soon."
When approaching the village:
"The village is just ahead. Storn has used his magic to raise a barrier around it, protecting the few of us left. That the barrier is still there is a good sign.
After Frea speaks to her father:
"If anyone can help us now, it is you."
"All-Maker guide you."
Shaman of the SkaalEdit
Are you sure you're ready to be Shaman of the Skaal?: "I have been preparing for it all my life. There is no question that I'm ready, but..."
But what? What is it?: "It is not right that I should say this, because I must honor my father's wishes, but this a path I never chose. I always thought that I would be a great hunter, or even the village chieftain."
That could still happen, couldn't it?: "Hah! Not if Fanari has anything to say about it. When it comes to being chieftain, she is like a wolf with her jaws clamped tight upon a fresh kill. But that's alright. The Skaal need a shaman and I know that is my place."
We make a good team. Why not join me for a while?: "Join you? You mean leave the village to journey with you and fight at your side?" I'm flattered, but the village is my home. It's very rare for one of the Skaal to leave, and I have responsibilities here.
- You can trust me. I saved your life remember? (Persuade): "You're right. I suppose the others can get by without me for a while. Very well. If you need my help, seek me out here in the village."
- I'll make it worth your while (gold): "The land provides all that I need. I have no need for your coins."
Frea: "Father! I have returned! There is yet hope!"
Storn: "Frea! What news do you bring? Is there a way to free our people?"
Frea: "No, but I have brought someone who has seen things... He has confirmed that Miraak is indeed behind the suffering of our people."
Storn: "I feared that it would be so."
Frea: "But how is that possible? After all this time..."
Storn: "I fear there is too much we do not yet know."
Frea: "Please, tell Storn what has happened."
- She mentions she has an amulet that protects her from the temple's curse.
- She dual wields a Stalhrim and Nordic War Axe.
- Her default armor is heavy, despite being highly skilled in light armor.
- The name Frea resembles the name of the Norse goddess Freyja, who is associated with love and passion.
- If Lydia fights alongside the Dragonborn during the quest "The Temple of Miraak," her default conversation line changes to, "She fights well enough, for a Skaal." indicating that Lydia might see Frea as somewhat of a rival.
- If the black book was not regained by the Dragonborn from Storn then she will have it added to her inventory.
- If Frea is brought along to Nchardak, she has unique lines of dialogue related to the location and the quest. She will also converse freely with Neloth.
- She will dual wield any two weapons in her inventory without the need to put a pickaxe or a forsworn weapon in her inventory like the case is with most followers.
- Frea can be exploited as a quest follower during The Temple of Miraak.
- Frea was voiced by Elle Newlands.
This section contains bugs related to Frea. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- If Frea is a follower during "The Path of Knowledge" or "The Gardener of Men," there is a period where she will leave but still take up the follower spot. This can be avoided in two ways:
- She can be dismissed before reading the black book.
- Immediately after returning from Apocrypha, the Dragonborn can head to Skaal Village (where she runs to) and dismiss her before speaking with Storn. Otherwise the Dragonborn will not have a follower until the entire Dragonborn questline is completed.