If her brother, Ralof (a Stormcloak), is followed while escaping Helgen, she will help the Dragonborn by giving them a key to her house and offering them supplies. Also, if she dies, the Dragonborn will receive a Letter of Inheritance.
- Alto Wine
- Carrots (2)
- Eidar Cheese Wheel
- Honningbrew Mead (2)
- Potion of minor healing (3)
- Rabbit Haunch
- Red Apple
- Silver Garnet Ring
- Silver Necklace (uncommon)
- Enchanted jewlery (on rare occasions)
Gerdur will buy firewood from the Dragonborn.
She can also sell logs to the Dragonborn to build houses with the installation of Hearthfire.
Gerdur "Mara's Mercy, its good to see you! But is it safe for you to be here?"
Gerdur "We had heard that Ulfric had been captured..."
Ralof "Gerdur... I'm fine. At least now I am."
Gerdur "Are you hurt? What's happened? [looks at player] And who's this? One of your comrades?"
Ralof "Not a comrade yet...but a friend. I owe him/her my life, in fact. Is there somewhere we can talk? There's no telling when the news from Helgen will reach the Imperials..."
Gerdur "Helgen? Has something happened...? You're right. Follow me. Hod! Come here a minute. I need your help with something."
Hod "What is it, woman? Sven drunk on the job again?"
Gerdur "Hod. Just come here."
Hod "Ralof! What are you doing here? Ah...I'll be right down!"
Frodnar "Uncle Ralof! Can I see your axe? How many Imperials have you killed? Do you really know Ulfric Stormcloak?"
Gerdur "Hush, Frodnar. This is no time for your games. Go and watch the south road. Find us if you see any Imperial soldiers coming."
Frodnar "Aw, mama, I want to stay and talk with uncle Ralof!"
Ralof "Look at you, almost a grown man! Won't be long before you'll be joining the fight yourself!"
Frodnar "That's right! Don't worry uncle Ralof, I won't let those soldiers sneak up on you!"
Hod walks up and enters the conversation.
Hod "Now, Ralof, what's going on? You two look pretty well done in."
Ralof "I can't remember the last time I slept. Where to start? Well, the news you heard about Ulfric was true. The Imperials ambushed us outside Darkwater Crossing. Like they knew exactly where we'd be. That was...two days ago, now. We stopped at Helgen this morning, and I thought it was all over. Had us lined up for the headsman's block and ready to start chopping!"
Gerdur "The cowards!"
Ralof "They wouldn't dare give Ulfric a fair trial. Treason, for fighting for your own people! All of Skyrim would have seen the truth then! But then...out of nowhere...a dragon attacked."
Gerdur "You don't mean a real, live..."
Ralof "I can hardly believe it myself, and I was there! As strange as it sounds, we'd be dead if not for that dragon. In the confusion, we managed to slip away. Are we really the first to make it to Riverwood?"
Gerdur "Nobody has come up the south road today, as far as I know."
Ralof "Good. Maybe we can lay up for a while. I'd hate to put your family in danger, Gerdur, but..."
Gerdur "Nonsense. You and your friend are welcome to stay as long as you need. Let me worry about the Imperials. Any friend of Ralof's is a friend of mine. [to player] Here's the key to the house. Stay as long as you like. There's something you can do for me. For all of us. [gift menu opens] We need to send word to Jarl Balgruuf to send whatever troops he can. Riverwood is defenseless. If you do that for me, I'll be in your debt."
Ralof "Thanks, sister. I knew I could count on you."
Gerdur "I ought to get back to work before I'm missed, but did anyone else escape? Did Ulfric..."
Ralof "Don't worry. I'm sure he made it out. It'll take more than a dragon to stop Ulfric Stormcloak!"
Hod "I'll let them into the house and, you know, show them where everything is."
Gerdur "Hhmm. Help them drink up our mead, you mean. [to Ralof] Good luck, brother. I'll see you later."
Ralof "Don't worry about me. I know how to lay low."
- If Hadvar is followed in the quest "Unbound" and thus accept help from Alvor, Riverwood's blacksmith, she may send hired thugs after the Dragonborn.
- If Hod dies, Gerdur will express disgust at the idea that militarism is the only way her lumber business prospers anymore.
- Gerdur's name is possibly a play on "girder," which is a metal beam used in construction, similar to how she runs a lumber mill.
This section contains bugs related to Gerdur. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- Delphine, Alvor, Sigrid and Faendal, Gerdur can attack the Dragonborn for no apparent reason. Yielding to a guard or fast traveling to a different hold can generally fix this. Along with
- Frenzy. A rare bug can occur with Gerdur. She can be cast into Frenzy, randomly letting her kill her husband and try to kill her son. This happens even if the Dragonborn does not have
- Killing Gerdur does not make Ralof hostile, but he may ask, "What do you want, milk-drinker?"
- Fast traveling to Riverwood can rarely make her hostile towards you.
- She may send hired thugs to attack the Dragonborn even when Ralof is followed.