|Quest Giver||Aelwin Merowald|
|Reward||Jewel of the Rumare|
He hopes to sell them to a young mage who Merowald says will net enough to ensure his happy retirement. Acquire the scales for him from the Rumare Slaughterfish in Lake Rumare, just north of that settlement.
Talk to Aelwin and listen to him discuss how he lost a figurative fight to a bunch of fish, the Hero must ask how they can help in order for the quest to proceed. After Aelwin explains the situation he's in, the Hero then must head north into the lake and begin looking for the slaughterfish. In actuality the fish can be found in the waters around Weye, not just to the north. The green quest marker on the compass and map points to the general location of the "next" fish, so finding them is usually easy. However, don't always count on it as the fish can sometimes be elsewhere.
The time of the day may affect fishing chances. Try earlier in the day, rather than late at night. A Detect Life spell can greatly help, especially in the murky waters of the lake. Cast it and swim around. Be sure to quicksave before plunging in, it's easy to be caught unaware and the Rumare Slaughterfish can quickly and easily kill a low-level hero.
Alternatively, mages can effectively use "Sea Stride" to walk on water for 30-second bursts. This, casted continuously and alternately with "Major Detect Life", makes short work of the task and does not requires much Magicka. The fish swim near the surface and can be attacked with a melee weapon whilst water-walking at no risk.
The Rumare Slaughterfish are level-scaled: Rumare Slaughterfish Spawn, Rumare Slaughterfish and Brood Mother. The Brood Mother in this quest has a grand-level soul, so bring a Grand Soul Gem or Azura's Star if owning any of them. To make things much easier for soul trapping her, use a weapon enchanted with a Soul Trap spell for the final blow. If the Hero have a sufficiently high level, all Slaughterfish in the lake will be Brood Mothers.
Once they've collected all 12 scales, return to Aelwin for the reward: the Jewel of the Rumare.
Aelwin Merowald at the Weye Settlement southwest of the Imperial City is looking to acquire 12 Rumare Slaughterfish Scales to sell to a customer. He's asked me to do the legwork, as he's getting quite old and can't handle the difficult task. The Rumare slaughterfish is a special breed of slaughterfish that can only be found in Lake Rumare, directly north of Weye.
I've acquired 12 Rumare Slaughterfish Scales. I should bring them to Aelwin Merowald at the Weye Settlement as soon as I can.
I've given the 12 Rumare Slaughterfish Scales to Aelwin Merowald and he's rewarded me with a magical ring.
- Making fun of him instead of hearing him out will cause him to get angry, making it impossible to start the quest.
- Ranged magic cannot be used underwater, but touch magic can be used. Also, Shock Damage is, fittingly, useful against the slaughterfish.
- If one have the Ring of Happiness from the Shivering Isles quest "Final Resting", and have completed all the Thieves Guild quests, then simply wear the ring and the Gray Cowl of Nocturnal (there aren't any guards around) and all they have to do is seek out the fish and stab them from the surface. This strategy does not work all the time, since, as a rule, the fish duck down underwater once their health is slightly past 50%.
- The Fin Gleam helmet found offshore west of Bravil has the enchantments Detect Life, Water Breathing and Night Eye.
- Aelwin mentions that the fish scales will be sold to an alchemist and the money made will contribute to his savings for his retirement. If the Hero is the thieving type, they can ask him "Where are your savings?". If they increases his disposition to at least 70, he'll mention that his savings are locked in a box in his house and he has the key. After Aelwin tells them this, they can pickpocket the key from him to open the chest located to the left of the fireplace in his house. However there is only 22 or 23 in there.
- The player can also pickpocket the Fish Scales from him after giving them away. Problem is, once this is done, they are still considered 'quest' items and can never be used. This may be a bug, for once the quest is completed, the items should be usable, like any other ingredient. To remove the scales from the player's inventory, open the console and type:
player.removeitem 000185FE2 <number of scales in inventory>
(E.g. if the player pickpockets Aelwin and gets 12 scales, write player.removeitem 000185FE2 12.)
This section contains bugs related to Go Fish. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- Many people experience bugs which make this quest impossible to complete such as fish spawning in rocks or under the ground. In these cases a cheat can be used to obtain the remaining scales. Enter at the console (accessible by pressing the tilde ~ key):
player.placeatme 000185FE2 <count still needed> 128 0
(Replace <count still needed> with the number of scales still required to complete the quest.) With a dead slaughterfish targeted, type - resurrect - in the console Sometimes a simple range spell could kill a stuck slaughterfish if it is in the right range.
- One of the fish is actually on dry land, flopping around helplessly. It can be found around the rocks or up to halfway towards Fort Nikel to the west. The map marker is incorrect when looking for it "at sea". This may or may not be a bug.