|Prerequisite||Hitting the Books|
|Next Quest||Revealing the Unseen|
|Faction||The College of Winterhold|
Witnessing the Eye of MagnusEdit
You can ask him if he has any lower-priority tasks for you to complete (beginning any of the College’s additional quests), be sure to tell him that Urag suggested you come see him and that you found a book entitled Night of Tears.
He tells you he’ll have to read it, but he’s having difficulty tearing himself away from the beauty of the orb, which some people have called the Eye of Magnus. If you’ll permit him (and you should), he wishes to make a few observations.
He observes that the markings are quite unlike anything seen before; not even Falmer runes are a match. The object is also radiating Magicka, and this has caused the Arch-Mage to fully commit to researching the orb.Hall of the Elements and into the Arch-Mage’s Quarters. You have little time to speak with Savos Aren or Ancano; the cowled figure wearing the same robes as the initial mage you saw in your vision pauses time and introduces himself as Quaranir.
According to Quaranir, the longer the Eye remains in the College, the more dangerous the situation becomes. They expect dire consequences if the Eye isn’t banished, but the future is obscure, and the Psijic Order is unsure how you must act. Seeking out the Augur of Dunlain is the next logical step. Moments later, there is a flash of light, and time resumes as normal.
Ancano is furious at the Psijic Order’s interruption and vows to get to the bottom of this matter. Begin searching out the mages within the College and asking them about the Augur of Dunlain (if you don’t wish to immediately journey to his location). No one is aware of the stoppage of time except you. Here’s what the main inhabitants of the College know (or reveal) about the Augur:
- Ancano is rather cagey, professing to know nothing about the Augur.
- Savos Aren is rather annoyed that Tolfdir has been telling stories again, and he hopes you’ll instruct the old fellow to knock it off.
- Colette Marence relates a tragic story of an experiment gone horribly wrong; the ghost of the unfortunate College member is said to still roam the halls.
- Urag gro-Shub has little to say on the subject.
- Mirabelle Ervine says that the Augur is nothing that need concern you and remains tight-lipped about whatever was going on.
- (Persuade) Mirabelle can be persuaded to reveal the location of the Augur if you speak with her.
- Arniel Gane, Enthir, and the other Apprentices say they don’t know anything, but suggest you speak to Tolfdir about it.
- Nirya is more concerned with her animosity with Faralda. Other mages in the Hall of Countenance and around the College are professing to know nothing about the Augur.
Hidden in the MiddenEdit
Ask Tolfdir about the Augur of Dunlain, and he will tell you it has been years since he’s spoken with him. The Augur is down in the Midden . Now seek either of the entrances and descend into the Midden. The icy and dank dungeons known as the Midden are beneath the College. It consists of a series of passages and stairs. The remains of innumerable experiments are scattered about and long forgotten. Draugr and Atronachs roam these gloomy corridors, so expect a few fights along the way.
Speak to this maelstrom of writhing oddness and flame, who believes events are too late to change. You also find out that you aren’t the only one who’s visited the Augur recently. A Thalmor named Ancano has been here too.
Note that you must go through the entire monologue in a single "session". If you leave the conversation menu, the quest stage will not be marked as completed, and you will have to restart the entire conversation.
Thinking that Ancano was simply here to strengthen his own hand, the Augur neglected to tell him that the Eye of Magnus is extremely dangerous, and a staff of great power is required to mitigate this threat. Find the Staff of Magnus at the earliest opportunity.
Return to Savos Aren, who is probably gazing at the Eye of Magnus. Tell him you have important information. He initially scoffs at your request to find the Staff of Magnus, but after you mention who gave you this information, his tune changes. He is impressed with your initiative and wants someone to follow up on locating the staff. He means you. He remembers Mirabelle Ervine mentioning something about the staff, but that was a while ago.
Urag has asked me to mention the Night of Tears book to Tolfdir.
I've mentioned the Night of Tears book to Tolfdir, who seems distracted by the orb from Saarthal, and has some additional thought about it.
While discussing the Saarthal orb with Tolfdir, Ancano interrupted and insisted I follow him.
Ancano interrupted my conversation with Tolfdir to insist that I speak with someone claiming to be from the Psijic Order, who is waiting in the Arch-Mage's quarters in the College.
I've been led to the Arch-Mage's quarters by Ancano, who was insistent that I speak to someone claiming to be from the Psijic Order. The monk, named Quaranir, has informed me that the "Eye of Magnus" is dangerous and that to learn how to deal with it, I need to speak with The Augur of Dunlain within the College. I should ask my fellow members where to find him.
I've been led to the Arch-Mage's quarters by Ancano, who was insistent that I speak to someone claiming to be from the Psijic Order. The monk, named Quaranir, has informed me that the "Eye of Magnus" is dangerous and that to learn how to deal with it, I need to speak with The Augur of Dunlain within the College. He can be found in the Midden, beneath the College.
After speaking with Quaranir from the Psijic Order and being warned of the danger of keeping the Eye of Magnus at the College, I sought out and talked to the Augur of Dunlain, who lives in the Midden beneath the College. The Augur told me that I'll need to find the Staff of Magnus, and to give that information to my superiors immediately.
After speaking privately with a monk from the Psijic Order, I have been warned that the "Eye of Magnus" is potentially dangerous and must be dealt with. After consulting with the Augur of Dunlain beneath the College, I have brought word to the Arch-Mage that the Staff of Magnus needs to be located.
- At times the monk does not appear, causing the blue time stop too appear without dialogue.
- It is possible, that after talking to Quaranir, the door to Skyrim will not open. This can be solved by leaving the entrance and coming back and trying the door again.
- When the quest says to follow Ancano, sometimes he stands in the corner of the room with the doors that lead to Skyrim, the Arcaneum, and the locked Arch-Mage's quarters. Ancano just stands there and when you walk up to him he says "I said lets go now" and shows the questions available to ask but even if you ask all of them he just stands there.This is not fixable.
- Sometimes after mentioning the "Night of Tears" to Tolfdir you get the objective "Listen to Tolfdir" he doesn't talk and he just stares at you. Then when Ancano comes to talk to you he will do the same.
- There seems to be a bug, of yet unknown origin, that causes this questline to derail upon "Good Intentions" completion. In other words: you will succeed in completing this quest, but will be incapable of getting the following quests for the College of Winterhold. This only happens to some players.
- When using Clairvoyance, you are pointed all around Skyrim, as though you had some entirely different quest active.
- After talking with Augur of Dunlain, if you enter the Hall of Elements to talk with the Arch-Mage whilst a dragon is attacking Winterhold, every one in the College will start attacking thin air; the Arch-Mage becomes unresponsive. To fix this, exit the hall and kill the dragon. Note that the dragon has a chance of glitching when it lands. After killing the dragon, the Arch-Mage and a few other college members appear at the entrance of the bridge to the College.
- When the time stop takes effect, there is an invisible wall blocking the exit to the rest of the world. It is possible to bypass the wall by using a platter or wooden plate to go through one of the walls on the sides and dropping into the staircase below. After succeeding, the Dragonborn can then explore all of skyrim with the time stop visual effects. However, time will not be actually stopped outside of the Arch-Mage's Quarters.
- It will require another platter or wooden plate to return for continuing the quest. Simply use it to go through the wall between the staircases and opposite from the invisible one. Falling into the void below will teleport the Dragonborn back to where he/she was when the time stop took effect.
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (First appearance)
|College of Winterhold Quests|
|Main Quest||First Lessons • Under Saarthal • Hitting the Books • Good Intentions |
Revealing the Unseen • Containment • Staff of Magnus • The Eye of Magnus
|Side Quests||Arniel's Endeavor • Daedric Relic • Aftershock • Out of Balance • J'zargo's Experiment |
Brelyna's Practice • Onmund's Request • Fetch Me That Book! • Tolfdir the Absent-Minded
|Master Spell Quests||Alteration Ritual Spell • Destruction Ritual Spell • Conjuration Ritual Spell |
Illusion Ritual Spell • Restoration Ritual Spell