|Great Lift at Alftand|
|Location||South-west of Winterhold|
|Quests||Discerning the Transmundane|
The Great Lift at Alftand is an ancient Dwemer mechanical lift that connects to Blackreach. The iron gate will initially be locked and can only be opened from the inside. This can be achieved once the Dragonborn has access to Blackreach. From Blackreach, the Dragonborn can ride the Great Lift at Alftand up to the surface and pull a lever to open the gate (the lever may be difficult to see, depending upon user settings. It is right next to the door, above the cogs), after which the lift can be entered from the outside anytime it is traveled to and will appear on the World Map, separate from Alftand.
- The game may hang up while taking the lift to the surface, displaying a black screen. This may repeat until the game is restarted or a previous save loaded.
- The gate may close itself at any point after being opened and returned to. When this happens, the other gates will close as well and enemies in the ruins and blackreach will respawn.
- It is possible to circumvent this problem and still get into Blackreach. By standing against the gate of one of the above-ground lifts and casting Summon Arvak, it is possible to get through the gate by mounting and then dismounting Arvak. You can then use the lever to open the gate and descend into Blackreach. Note: If it worked correctly, Arvak will appear to be halfway through the gate.
- Another way to circumvent this is by standing at the gate and holding a plate in front of you and running into it. You must move the plate around to find the correct spots that allow you to move through the gate.
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (First appearance)