Grindstones are crafting stations found in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
Grindstones can be used to improve weapons, by sharpening them and adding weight for extra damage.
Weapons no longer have durability, unlike previous games, making the increase in damage and enchantments the only way to upgrade a weapon. Grindstones may be found in almost every corner of Skyrim's cities, towns, and even in mines and caves.
Using a Grindstone increases your Smithing level, although to a lesser degree than actually forging a weapon. Appropriate metal ingots are required to upgrade each item (i.e., Ebony Ingot for an Ebony Sword). However certain weapons require more exotic materials in order to upgrade them. Such as the chitin of a Chaurus for Falmer weapons, or even ingredients normally used in alchemy. There are six levels of upgrade available (from least to greatest): fine, superior, exquisite, flawless, epic, and legendary. Each upgrade level has a required skill level, and this level can be reduced with the perk associated with the type of weapon that the player wishes to upgrade.
|Weapon Quality||Skill Req. Without Perk||Skill Req. With Perk|
- Occasionally, when upgrading two of the same weapons, the weapons will no longer stack in the inventory/favorites list when one or both are equipped. This problem will fix itself only when both weapons aren't being used.
- Grindstones can be found in nearly every smithing store.
- Refined weapons cannot be bought (a flawless weapon) unless it is sold to them first.
- Outside of Lost Valley Redoubt a dead Nord can be found with his head resting on a grindstone and blood everywhere. If you had sneaked up on the Forsworn, you would hear him/her saying how the only good thing about nords is how you can make their skull into an axe blade.
- If one uses enchantments/potions to improve their smithing level beyond 100, it is possible to improve a weapon past Legendary quality. The (Legendary) tag however does not change.
- If an item is enchanted, it will require the Smithing perk Arcane Blacksmith and a smithing level of 60 to be improved.
- In order to create a Grindstone in Hearthfire home, the player will need Sawn Log (x1) Iron Fittings (x1) and Quarried Stone (x1) . Once created this item cannot be removed.
- If the player kills an NPC who is using the Grindstone, it will continue working.
- Being very near or operating a Grindstone will sometimes cause all in-game audio thereafter to be accompanied by annoying crackling. Quitting the game and restarting should fix this.
- If the player stands still, Serana will start to use a grindstone if one is nearby, and if she leaves it suddenly to fight an enemy, it will continue working indefinitely, even with sound effects.
- If the player jumps repeatedly on the 'seat' of the Grindstone, there is a chance the player will glitch into the 'falling position'. The player will hover and wave its arms whilst moving normally for a short time, and then return to a normal stance.
- The starting animation of using a Grindstone, always shows the player grinding an Iron Sword. No matter what weapon the player is wielding.