|Level||PCx1.1 (min. 15)|
|Essential||No (If joined the Vampires)
Always (If the Dawnguard is joined)
He looks out for the Dragonborn and will often comment that morality is very important, as it is what separates humans from vampires. Like Isran, he is honorable, though less staunch, more relaxed and more open-minded. He also seems to have abandoned or rejected Talos worship, as upon first meeting him he exclaims "By the Eight". His family was killed by vampires, much like Isran's, and chooses to defend others from vampire attacks, rather than seek revenge.
- Fallowstone Cave
- Brood Cavern
- Crystaldrift Cave
- Bonechill Passage
- Clearspring Tarn
- Northshore Landing DB
- Cronvangr Cave
- Honeystrand Cave
- Horker Island DB
- Pinepeak Cavern
- Training in Smithing up to the Master level.
- Weapons and armor merchant.
- Trains and hires out Armored Trolls for 500 .
- If the Dragonborn has allied themselves with the Dawnguard but contracted vampirism, Gunmar will direct the Dragonborn to Falion in Morthal for a cure.
In addition, he will also give radiant quests to slay vampires in a number of locations:
- "Cozy little place isn't this?"
- "This is fine for now, but we can't stay holed up here forever."
- "We can't give up. There's no one else to stand against these monsters."
- "We'll stop these monsters. We have to; we're the only ones who can."
- "It's no Warmaiden's, but I've got a decent supply."
- "What do you need, blades, armor, smithing materials?"
- on him, due to the fact he seems to not be actually buying any items the Dragonborn attempts to sell him. He accepts the item, but his gold neither decreases, nor does the Dragonborn receive payment. In essence, he gets it for free.
Gunmar can have upwards of 70,000
- On PC, fix this by opening the console with '~'. Then click on Gunmar so he's selected. Then type something like "removeitem f 20000", replacing the 20000 with an amount of gold that will get Gunmar back below 20k.
- Best way to prevent this is to make sure he never has more than 20,000 on him so watch how much he is paid for smithing training
- Should Gunmar's initial encounter occur at Crovangr Cave, the bear might not appear, and the Dawnguard storyline won't be able to be advanced by recruiting him. (This may also occur at Honeystrand Grove.)
- Gunmar's initial encounter occurring at Crovangr Cave can also leave him hostile to the Dragonborn and he will attack on sight, stopping the Dawnguard storyline because he cannot be recruited.
- Gunmar may not give the Dragonborn any quests even if other Dawnguard members say he has something for them.
- Gunmar may stand outside Honeystrand cave and whenever he is approached will simply say "Mind yourself there's a vicious bear on the loose" and will not move from the spot, even once all bears are cleared from the area and the cave.
- Gunmar may not appear in Fort Dawnguard.
- Dragonborn installed, he'll be on Horker Island.) Sometimes when trying to find Gunmar, the quest arrow doesn't appear; simply travel to Solstheim (if you have
- :Gunmar may be hostile at Crystaldrift Cave, Which can be easily fixed by attacking him until he is down and then wait 24 hours.
- Sometimes Gunmar will still have his dialogue from the end of his recruitment quest when speaking to him at Fort Dawnguard.