Haemar's Shame can be found just off the main road that goes through the mountain pass connecting Helgen and Ivarstead. It is located southwest of Ivarstead and southeast of Helgen, almost directly between Ivarstead and Fort Neugrad. The cave is divided into two sections, Haemar's Shame and Haemar's Cavern. Is it occupied by several vampires and has a shrine dedicated to the Daedric Prince Clavicus Vile.
The cave's floor and some of its walls are covered with snow. There are several large connected caverns with some man-made wooden structures and furniture set in place. An Alchemy Lab can be found in one of the chambers. Within the cave are multiple bandits that have been slaughtered and enthralled by the vampires.
At back of the cavern a passage leads into the next portion of the cave system. At the entrance there is a Frostbite Spider. One of the rooms has an Arcane Enchanter. The final large room is a large worked stone room with a shrine and statue dedicated to Clavicus Vile. Past the shrine, some iron bars open onto a ledge overlooking the road outside. The gate is initially closed but can be lowered by the use of a chain hanging on the wall right next of it.
- In the quest "A Daedra's Best Friend," the Dragonborn follows Barbas, a dog capable of speaking telepathically, to this location.
- Possible location for the quest "Onmund's Request."
- Possible location of a totem in the quest "Totems of Hircine."
- Possible location of Shalidor's writings during "Shalidor's Insights."
- Possible location of one of the Vampire Lord Rings in the quest "Rings of Blood Magic," given by Feran Sadri in Castle Volkihar.DG
- Possible location for the quest "Culling the Beast."
- Possible location for the quest "Trouble in Skyrim."
- Destruction Skill Book: Response to Bero's Speech – on a table in Haemar's Cavern.
- Possible location of Meridia's Beacon.
- If one enters this cave for the first time while doing the quest A "Daedra's Best Friend" and then leave the cave immediately without following Barbas further into the cave and return a day or two later he may have killed all of the enemies in the final room of the cave which contains the shrine of Clavicus Vile, including the Master Vampire.
- There is an inconsistency with the cave and the quest, A Daedra's Best Friend: If the cave is visited before starting the quest, the shrine to Clavicus Vile is complete, i.e., Barbas is with him in the statue. However, when starting the quest after having cleared out the cave beforehand, the statue in the final room is now incomplete; only Clavicus is standing there, though Barbas and Vile talk as if he and Vile had been separated for a long time, as Clavicus says after the Dragonborn spares Barbas in the quest, "Ah. That feels so much better. You forget what supreme power feels like after you've been stuck in a cave for a few years!"
This section contains bugs related to Haemar's Shame. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- loading screen will crash when trying to complete Totems of Hircine. It is possible to bypass this by entering
setstage CR12 20in the console, then return the totem to the Underforge. If the quest A Daedra's Best Friend has already been completed, the
- After the completion of A Daedra's Best Friend, enemies won't spawn after reentering the cave a second time. All bodies of slain enemies seem to have vanished.
- Its possible for the statue of Clavicus Vile to completely disappear.