|Location||Northeast of Markarth|
West of Solitude
- Family Heirloom: Fulfill a contract for the Companions to retrieve a stolen family heirloom.
- Arniel's Endeavor: Retrieve a Staff for Enthir.
- Lost Relic: Retrieve the Dawnguard Rune Hammer
- Find the Forgemaster's Fingers: Find this item to gain access to Orc strongholds.
- Upon entering the cave the player will be greeted by an Adventurer killing a Frostbite spider. Upon asking the adventurer "What was going on with that spider?" he will reply:
- "I don't know, but this place is full of them. Every one I've encountered has been enchanted or the like. Look, I'm getting out of here. Normally, spiders make my skin crawl, but magic spiders? Blech!"
- The other notable figure is the cave's resident mage, Kornalus. It appears Kornalus has been experimenting upon the Spiders by enchanting them with fire, frost and shock enchantments. The enchantments manifest themselves in special attacks the spiders can deal, (either fire-, frost- or shock- based), as well as a magical glow on their bodies. Many spider corpses can also be found lying on tables scattered about the cave.
The cave is relatively small compared to some of Skyrim's labyrinth-like subterranean areas and is easily navigated.
- There is one puzzle in Harmugstahl with four levers controlling a metal barred/spiked passageway.
- There is one Adept locked door that needs to be picked.
- There are also two locked doors found after encountering Kornalus Frey; both can be unlocked with his key.
Lever puzzle solutionEdit
Activate the first lever on the left, and wait for the two spikes to descend. Then pull the first lever on the right (the opposite lever), and wait for the rest to descend.
- Book: A Game At Dinner (Alchemy skill book) located behind the Adept locked door.
- Possible location for Shalidor's Insights.
- Possible location for Staff of Tandil .
- Possible location for one or more of the quest Fetch me that Book!'s books.
- Journal (Book) located on the Alchemy Table.
- Possible location for the Forgemaster's Fingers.
- Possible location for Meridia's Beacon.
- Possible location for one of the Totems of Hircine.
- Possible location for Wind and Sand (Quest).
This section contains bugs related to Harmugstahl. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
|Click to show bugs|
After going through the room, with the caged spiders. If you go up the stairs to the bedroom, the spider on the tables legs can be moving, making it look like its dancing. Eventually it stops, after attaching it a few times.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Unless otherwise stated, the information above was obtained from in-game play or from The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Creation Kit. 
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (First appearance)