The Headless Horseman as seen in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
The Headless Horseman is a headless equestrian specter who can be seen riding around Skyrim at night, or staying at Hamvir's Rest during the day, facing its cemetery. He will spawn randomly anywhere in the world between 10 PM and 4 AM. He will occasionally stop and let himself be examined and then continue riding. The Horseman performs no actions, and cannot be harmed. The Headless Horseman is also not connected to any quests.
If he is followed, he will normally go to Hamvir's Rest. Once there, there will be three skeletons, and a leveled Draugr to fight, as well as a master-level chest, some random items and nightshade to collect. If Hamvir's Rest is fast-traveled to during the daytime, the Headless Horseman can be seen there. He will stand at the entrance of the cemetery and will not move until the Dragonborn gets out of his sight.
- "Such an abrupt end to our game." - Upon entering Hamvir's Rest with the Headless Horseman and killing something that is chasing him. Can also be heard anytime he is being followed.
- "Who dares disturb my rest?" - Upon encountering the Horseman.
- "You are not welcome here." - Upon entering Hamvir's Rest with the Horseman.
- "All the living shall fear the dead." - Rarely said when the Horseman is watching the undead being fought.
- "You will join the dead." - Said when in combat.
- Sometimes, the Horseman is spawned off of his steed, which will chase after him.
- Bandits and animals will try to attack his steed on occasion.
- Sometimes the headless horseman will spawn without a horse and will instead sprint indefinitely towards his goal.
- If his path is blocked, he will change directions.
- He is a reference to the headless horseman in The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving.
- Sometimes, the Headless Horseman may float into the middle of the air for no exact reason.
- Though it isn't confirmed, the Headless Horseman may be the spirit of Ragnar the Red. The song indicates that Ragnar was beheaded by Mathilda, and he was riding from Rorikstead to Whiterun.