He is the target for the Dark Brotherhood quest Contract: Kill Hern. Hern does not appear until the assassination contract against him is active. Otherwise, Half-Moon Mill will be occupied solely by Hert. There is also a chance that Hern will feed the Ebony Blade as a sacrifice to make it stronger, if he is killed with it.
Hern and Hert do not use Vampiric Drain, when attacking. This makes it less likely to contract Sanguinaire Vampiris from fighting them. Because Hern is a vampire, destruction spells and enchanted weapons dealing Fire Damage are especially effective.
- Contract: Kill Hern - Kill Hern and then report back to Nazir.
- Hired Muscle - intimidate Hern into a brawl.
- Rescue Mission - Rescue Hern from Lost Echo Cave
"Well now. What have we here? A lost little lamb?"
- I know what you are, nightspawn. "Well then, you won't be leaving here alive!"
- Assassin versus vampire. A fight for the ages. "Ah, so the Brotherhood has come for old Hern, has it? Well then, let us meet as equals."
- (Remain silent) "Hmph. Don't say much, but there's a strange aura about you. You walk in the shadow of death... Leave here. Leave here and never return."
- "You really don't want to be loitering here, stranger."
- "Oh my, a guest!"
- "Please, make yourself at home!"
- "Lone travelers can find these woods a little treacherous."
- "We've been looking for someone to join us in a hunt."
This section contains bugs related to Hern. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- During the Rescue Mission to rescue him from Lost Echo Cave, Hern will not appear. Instead, the quest arrow will hover over the ground between a dead bandit and a dead Imperial. Loading previous saves does not fix this. There is no known fix.