|Hircine's Ring (Skyrim)|
Provides additional transformations for Werewolves
Cursed Ring of Hircine
The Cursed Ring of Hircine is obtained in the quest Ill Met by Moonlight from a prisoner called Sinding, who is locked up in the jail cell in the prison in Falkreath. Sinding is imprisoned because he killed a little girl at the lumber mill. He was however not himself, but a werewolf. He obtained the ring because he heard it would help him control his transformations, but Hircine, angered by Sinding stealing the ring, curses it to do the opposite effect, and apparently at the most inoppurtune moments. The player is given the option to take over the Ring of Hircine and be cursed.
Effect of the Curse
The ring cannot be taken off and the wearer of the ring will have a 10% chance to turn into a werewolf while outside a dungeon or city (however, after transforming into a werewolf manually or via the ring, it will unequip the ring). This ring does not bestow the power of transformation at will. The werewolf (beast) form (See; Beast Form) is obtained only through The Companions questline located in Jorrvaskr in Whiterun.
"Uncursed" Ring of Hircine
It is given by Hircine, who removes the curse from the ring, after helping Sinding at the end of the quest Ill Met by Moonlight. Choosing to help Sinding allows the Dragonborn to receive the ring once they leave the cave, but if Sinding is killed and skinned, Savior's Hide is received instead. Alternatively, both the ring and hide can be obtained by helping Sinding kill the hunters, leaving the grotto to receive the ring, then going back inside the grotto, killing Sinding, skinning him and receiving the Savior's Hide.
Effect of the Ring
Equipping this ring grants additional transformations for Werewolves.
How to use
Equipping the Ring of Hircine will cause a power of the same name to appear in the Powers section of the Magic tab. It is activated in the same way as all other powers.
If you have already obtained and cured lycanthropy through the Companions, the ring has no effect. But, a recent effect of patches 1.3 and 1.4 allow the ring to be used even after being cured.
- When in Beast Form from the Ring of Hircine, you still can use sprint, roar, feed, and the finishing animations, which still count up on your "Mauls" under General Stats. It's also considered as a Werewolf Transformation and will be counted as such. However, Days as a Werewolf should not be affected.
- You will still not be able to open Character Menu, Map, or anything else besides Wait and the Save Menu.
- In the Tomb of Ysgramor the player can cure themselves of the disease Lycanthropy yet still keep their ability of Werewolf Transformation, this can be achieved by using the ring, and defeating their spirit with their wolf form, it's complicated and may require more than one attempt, but putting the ring back on quickly after the battle is won then leaving the tomb quickly should keep the wolf form available to use.
- Giving the ring to a follower or a Companion Circle member does not give them the ability to turn into a werewolf.
- If you choose to become a Vampire Lord through either the Vampire or DawnGuard questline the ring will not work(it is unknown if this was scrippted purposely or if it is a bug, however it is likely purposeful as Molag Bal is the creator of vampires whilst Hircine is the origin of werewolves. It unlikely that the Ring of Hircine would affect Vampire Lords)
- When transforming with the Ring of Hircine on, the weapon you were using in normal form will be on the werewolf claws.
- You can kill and skin Sinding in his jail cell before he escapes but Hircine will not talk to you when you slay the great beast.
- Sinding will sometimes reappear in his jail cell if you choose to get the Ring of Hircine. You can there kill and skin him, allowing you to have both the ring and the Saviors Hide.
- Going back after getting the ring and skin him, will give the ring and the hide.
- Kill and skin Sinding and you may then encounter him several times traveling the road between Riverwood, Whiterun and Solitude. Guards and the like do not attack him despite the fact he remains in werewolf form.
- Once completing the quest by helping Sinding and receiving the ring of Hircine. Sinding will walk all the way back to Falkreath and get back in his jail cell. If you try to talk to him, all he says is "Never thought i'd see you again."
- Sometimes the ring never works.
- Fire Breath (YOL TOOR SHUL) on Sinding right after he turns to a werewolf before escaping, and he dies, turn into a werewolf, kill the guard in the room, wait 24 hours as a werewolf, the Ring of Hircine may be unequipped. If you use the full of
- If you attempt to clone the ring via the mannequin glitch both will no longer work.
- If you're wearing the Ring of Hicrine when you're cured of lycanthropy, it may still continue to function.
- If you are dual wielding swords when you transform, the sword may not disappear from your waist.
- If you are dual wielding weapons (daggers, swords, war axes, or maces) that are enchanted when you transform, your claw attacks will have the enchant effect of whatever your weapons were enchanted with and not use up any of the magicka of the enchanted weapon in the process, making your werewolf form much stronger.
- Sometimes if you have your weapons out and transform they will be shown on your claws but will give no extra damage.
- Sometimes when using the Ring of Hircine when you howl you might use fire breath instead of your current totem.
- If you are wearing the Ring of Namira and receive the Cursed Ring of Hircine from Sinding during the quest Ill Met By Moonlight, you will forever be able to feed off of bodies and obtain +50 health and +50% health regeneration.