|Location||North west portion of Windhelm|
|Acquisition||Complete Blood on the Ice and Liberate Falkreath Hold or Capture Windhelm for the Empire|
Hjerim is a large purchasable property located in the Valunstrad quarter of Windhelm. The house has two floors, several spacious rooms and a hidden chamber. Hjerim also has a large armory with a number of mannequins, display cases, shelves, and weapon racks. It originally belonged to Friga Shatter-Shield, until she was tragically murdered by The Butcher.
The secret chamber, located behind a ground-floor wardrobe to the rear of the first floor, is where The Butcher kept the severed body parts of his victims with which he intended to reanimate his dead sister. Purchasing the cleanup package will clear its bloodstained furnishings, enabling the purchase of the needed upgrades to transform it into an combined Alchemy and Enchanting workshop.
The house is available for 12,000 . Purchasing all upgrades costs an additional 9,000 . Completing Rescue From Fort Neugrad or the full Civil War Questline is necessary to purchase this house. Upon Becoming Thane of Eastmarch, a housecarl, Calder, will become available to look after Hjerim and serve the Thane.
A part of the quest Blood on the Ice takes place here, but the purchase of the property is available before or during the quest, giving the player the key to the house which allows entry to the house without having to pick the Master lock on the front door. (Note: The key can also be obtained during or after Blood on the Ice by pickpocketing it from Tova Shatter-Shield.) The quest is automatically gained when entering the house for the first time, if not previously started. Talking to the Jarl's Steward, Jorleif, enables the purchase of decorations for Hjerim.
Advantages and disadvantagesEdit
- Hjerim contains both an Arcane Enchanter and an Alchemy Lab.
- Hjerim also contains a large armory with room for five weapons and three mannequins.
- It is in close proximity with Smithing amenities, a Smelter, and the Windhelm fence, all of which are closely grouped.
- Adding a Children's room does not mean sacrificing the Alchemy Lab or Arcane Enchanter.
- Niranye, the Windhelm fence, is located outside in a market stall, whereas many other fences require at least one additional transition to reach or are hard to track down.
- This house has the best lighting in the game,although it is quite poor in the secret chamber.
- It has the biggest armory of all the houses (non-DLC) with 3 mannequins and many weapon racks and plaques for both shields and weapons.
- It is probably the largest house in the game (non-DLC).
- There is a Thief Cache Barrel to the left as one exits the house after completing the necessary quest for Delvin Mallory after joining the Thieves Guild.
- It has poor storage facilities in the enchanting/alchemy area (although there is a cupboard outside).
- Storage in the master bedroom is also less than either Proudspire Manor or Vlindrel Hall, consisting of only six containers, (two end tables, one chest, one wardrobe, and three small sacks).
- Its cost is very high including decorations.
- It's amongst the hardest houses to obtain, due to many quests being needed to be complete to obtain it.
The armory takes up most of the house's second floor and is very useful for storing weaponry that cannot be carried in one's inventory. This includes four weapon plaques, a shield plaque, three sword display cases, two dagger display cases, three mannequins, five weapon racks, and two bookshelves. The armory is also lined with various mounted animal heads for decoration.
This package installs an Arcane Enchanter after the clean up upgrade has been purchased from the steward. Two bookshelves, three weapon plaques and a variety of soul gems are added to it when bought.
The Alchemy Laboratory, although there is very little storage, this small room offers a large shelf stocked with multiple useful ingredients.
Hjerim's living room is a very large open room with a long central dining table, small table, and chair, multiple small and large sacks, two bookshelves, a barrel, two wardrobes and a variety of food, ingredients, and misc items.
The master bedroom consists of a king-sized bed, two end tables, a wardrobe, a shield plaque, two dagger display cases, four bookshelves, two small dining tables and multiple shelves, three small sacks, a chest, and various food and misc items.
The kitchen is probably the coziest room in the house, as it is the only room in the house with the comfort of a firepit and cooking pot. In addition to the essentials, the kitchen provides a lot of valuable potions on the multiple shelves around the room.
A clean up can be purchased after the quest "Blood on the Ice." This upgrade removes the stone altar, bloodstains, mutilated body parts, bones, and the messy storage chest. (It is recommended that this upgrade be purchased first to avoid bugs.)
This converts the area outside the secret chamber, (where the Alchemy Lab and Arcane Enchanter can be installed), into a children's room with two beds, a chair, a small wardrobe with a double shelf on top, an end table and a children's practice dummy. (Any items in the tall wardrobe previously there will be in the new, smaller one.)
- Eight Weapon Wall Plaques
- Two Weapon & Shield Wall Plaques
- Three Sword Display Cases
- Five Weapon Rack
- Three Mannequins
- Four Dagger Display Cases
- Twelve Bookshelves (holding a total of 132 books)
See Windhelm Home Decorating Guide for detailed descriptions.
- Although this house can be purchased, the key to the house can be found by pickpocketing or asking (during Blood on the Ice) Tova Shatter-Shield.
- There are a few high value potions in the chamber and a few soul gems that can be sold to cover some of the expense of buying the home and furnishings.
- The table in the small room appears to have Shadowmarks on it that refer to "Empty" and "Danger."
- This house was used by The Butcher for his necromantic rituals.
- When purchased, the alchemy labs comes with valuable ingredients such as void salts, fire salts and frost salts.
- Buy the "Clean up" First as it will remove the blood, bones, and altar from the alchemy/enchanting room. If not purchased first, the blood, bones, and altar will remain and will be unable to be cleaned up.
|Click to show bugs|
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (First appearance)