|Location||North west portion of Windhelm|
|Acquisition||Complete Blood on the Ice and Liberate Falkreath Hold or Capture Windhelm for the Empire|
Hjerim is a large house in Windhelm located in the Valunstrad quarter of the city. Hjerim has two floors, spacious rooms, and a secret chamber. Hjerim also has a large armory with mannequins, display cases, shelves, and weapon and shield racks.
The secret chamber, located behind a ground-floor wardrobe, is where The Butcher kept the parts of his victims with which he intended to reanimate his dead sister. Purchasing the cleanup package will clean it, buying the needed upgrades will transform it into an Alchemy and Enchanting workshop.
The house is available for 12,000 . Purchasing all upgrades costs an additional 9,000 . Completing Rescue From Fort Neugrad or the full Civil War Questline are necessary to purchase this house. Upon Becoming Thane of Eastmarch, the Dragonborn will receive a housecarl, Calder, for Hjerim.
A part of the quest Blood on the Ice takes place here, the quest must be completed in order to purchase the house. The quest is automatically gained when entering the house for the first time, if not previously started. When completing the quest, talking to the Steward allows the Dragonborn to buy upgrades for Hjerim.
Advantages and disadvantages
Hjerim is a large well organized home with spacious rooms.
It contains both an Arcane Enchanter and an Alchemy Lab, (once upgraded), is in close proximity to Smithing amenities, a Smelter, and the Windhelm fence, all of which are closely grouped with zero transitions. Niranye, the Windhelm fence, is located outside in a market stall, whereas many other fences require at least one additional transition to reach or are hard to track down.
Its main disadvantage is the poor storage facilities in the enchanting/alchemy area. There is no closed storage in the Alchemy/Enchanting room, ingredients, attire, (fortify alchemy), potions, (fortify enchanting), and Soul gems must be stored in other parts of the house. Storage in the master bedroom is also less than that found in either Proudspire Manor or Vlindrel Hall, consisting of only 6 containers (2 endtables, 1 wardrobe, 3 small sacks).
Various Food and Miscellaneous Items
Chest is bugged at sometimes, see bugs below.
Note that the small wardrobe will be removed and All Items stored inside will be lost.
A clean up after the quest "Blood on the Ice"
Removes the stone altar, blood on the floor, mutilated body parts, bones, and bloody storage chest
Note that it is recommended to purchase this upgrade first to avoid bugs
- 7 Weapon Wall Plaques
- 2 Weapon & Shield Wall Plaques
- 3 Sword Display Cases
- 5 Weapon Rack
- 3 Mannequins
- 4 Dagger Display Cases
- 12 Bookshelves (holding a total of 132 books)
See Windhelm Home Decorating Guide for detailed descriptions.
- This house was used by The Butcher for his necromantic rituals.
- Although this house can be purchased, the player can find the key to the house by either pickpocketing or killing Tova Shatter-Shield.
- There are a few high value potions in the chamber and a few soul gems that can be sold to cover some of the expense of buying the home and furnishings.
- The table in the small room appears to have Shadowmarks on it that refer to "Empty" and "Danger."
|Click to show bugs|
Behind the scenes
- Unless otherwise stated, the information above was obtained from in-game play or from The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Creation Kit. 
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (First appearance)