There are several known ways to be banished by the Dark Brotherhood:
- Feeding on contract kills with the Ring of Namira equipped.
- Pickpocketing, killing, and/or feeding on a Dark Brotherhood member. Note that the Spectral Assassin and Shadowmere count as members.
- Killing the Dark Brotherhood's tame pet frostbite spider, Lis.
- Causing too much damage to a Dark Brotherhood Initiate follower. The Initiate will part ways and the player will be fined upon return to the Sanctuary.
After being banished from the Dark Brotherhood, the Dragonborn will not be able to perform any contracts until they talk to Nazir. If the Dragonborn has a Dark Brotherhood Initiate or Cicero as a follower, they will refuse to speak to the Dragonborn, and will stop following them until the Dragonborn is re-admitted.
The Dragonborn may also speak to Nazir and he will ask for a payment fine to 500 (the amount diminishes if the Dragonborn possess high Speech skills and/or perks). The price will also be reduced to 300 if the Dragonborn has completed the quest "Hail Sithis!." Paying Nazir will complete the quest and the Dragonborn will be re-admitted into the Brotherhood.
I have broken the rules of the Sanctuary, and must pay Nazir a fine before I can proceed with any Dark Brotherhood business.
- Unlike in Oblivion, the Dragonborn can rejoin the Dark Brotherhood as many times as they like.
This section contains bugs related to Honor Thy Family. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- During the quest "The Cure for Madness," killing Cicero may trigger the quest "Honor Thy Family."
- Dawnstar Sanctuary may cause this quest to activate. Killing the torture victims in the torture room in the
- trap (i.e., battering ram or blade trap in Dwarven ruins), the quest may start. If the Spectral Assassin is killed by a