The Dres are located in the southern part of Morrowind (the Deshaan Plain), and their land borders the swamps and marshes of Black Marsh. They are an "agrarian agricultural society," and have large Saltrice plantations. The Dres rely completely on slave labor to maintain their economy, and as a result, they are "hostile to Imperial law and culture, and in particular opposed to any attempts to limit the institution of Slavery." For this reason, Dram Bero suggests that "the Dres know how to make money, but they have not learned how not to make enemies."
During the Four Score War against the Reman Empire, House Dres and House Indoril were involved significantly in changing the Dunmer's tactics. They proposed, that "rather than defend the western border," they should instead withdraw to the interior and fight a guerrilla war." Due to the fact that House Hlaalu were advocating accommodation with the empire, and House Telvanni were adamantly remaining neutral in the matter, House Redoran would have been faced with standing alone against the entire might of the Empire. Also during the First Era, the Knahaten Flu broke out. It is noted that few others troubled themselves with the land of northern Black Marsh, except for the Dres.
During the events of the Imperial Simulacrum, House Dres found itself involved in a full-blown uprising. Starting off as a "simple slave revolt in the House Dres lands of the south," the Arnesian War "built on itself until the swampy plains erupted with blood and fire, pitting Morrowind against Black Marsh. One of the many significant casualties from this was Symmachus, husband of Queen Barenziah of Mournhold. Barenziah then abdicated her throne and fled to Wayrest. (Full details of this can be read in the several Barenziah Biographies)
- A book entitled A Game at Dinner, was publicly denounced by House Dres, as the view depicted is very unfavorable for them.
- The book, The Last Scabbard of Akrash, tells a story of a person who kills several House Dres slavers, in an effort to stop the slave trade.
- Garan Marethi was once a member of the house.
- ↑ War of the First Council
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Great Houses of Morrowind
- ↑ Pocket Guide to the Empire, First Edition: Morrowind
- ↑ Grasping Fortune
- ↑ On Morrowind
- ↑ Pocket Guide to the Empire, Third Edition: Black Marsh
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Pocket Guide to the Empire, Third Edition: Morrowind
- ↑ A Game at Dinner
- ↑ The Last Scabbard of Akrash
- ↑ Events of The Elder Scrolls V: Dawnguard