At first, the house appears to be nothing more than a ruin, with only a few scattered items and a wooden chest visible. However, a trapdoor, located just right of the chest, leads to the basement, where the Dragonborn can find Hrodulf's Journal and two leveled Reavers. As detailed by the journal, the bookshelf to the left of it can be activated to reveal a secret passage. At the end is a small Dwemer Ruin, where Hrodulf's lover Bjornolfr lies dead on the floor with a Bloodstained Letter, some scattered gold coins and a Nordic dagger. Dialogue from the Reavers implies that they were the ones who killed him.
- Hrodulf's Journal – On a box just next to the bookshelf in the basement.
- East Empire Company Strongbox – On a shelf directly opposite the hatch leading to the downstairs. Contains an East Empire Pendant.
- Strongbox – On the eastern edge of the roof.
- Possible location for Kharjo's Moon Amulet.
- Possible location of the Enhanced Crossbow Schematic for the quest "Ancient Technology."
- Possible location for leveled Vampire as target for the quest "Hunting the Monster."
- Ancient TechnologyDG
- Ancient PowerDG
- Protecting the BloodlineDG
- Lost RelicDG
- Hunting the MonsterDG
- Preemptive StrikeDG
- Family Heirloom
- Amulet of the Moon
- Simply activating the bookshelf will reveal a secret passage; at the end is a strange Dwarven mechanism. It is unknown what exactly this is, although Hroldulf states in his journal that constant noises caused him to dig toward it. It is implied that the machine made Hroldulf mad, whether it was simply his obsession with it or if the machine actually altered his mind.
- Hrodulf's body is directly to the south, next to a small rowboat and a Burnt Spriggan. In the boat next to Hrodulf's body, there is a gold diamond ring and an Amulet of Mara.
- Inside the house on the table, there is a note from Bjornolfr to Hrodulf, saying, "My nights have been almost impossible to bear without you; to lose you would be the death of me. My love, if you do not return soon, I will come for you." On Bjornolfr's body, there is a bloody letter to him from Hrodulf saying, "I have not much self left. Do not come to this place. The Earth will take us both." From this it can be inferred that Bjornolfr came to attempt to rescue Hrodulf, but was killed before he could.
- If successfully undetected by the Reavers, you can hear one say, "Do you think he's the one we left in the tunnel?", referring to Bjornolfr. They also make fun of his note on the table.
- There are two Heart Stone deposits southeast of the house.
- There is an empty bottle of Spiced Wine inside the basement of the house.
- Even if the Dragonborn has not traveled to Solstheim yet, there is a possibility that one of the quests about finding Dwemer technology for Sorine Jurard in Dawnguard may lead to this house.
- Similarly, there is a possibility that one of the quests about hunting a vampire for Gunmar can lead to this house whether the Dragonborn has travelled to Solstheim or not.
- Closer examination of the inside of the house reveals a few bloody human remains located in a corner. Whether or not the individual was the victim of cannibalism due to Hrodulf's madness or simply the previous owner before Hrodulf is uncertain.
- This is a possible site to be sent to for retrieving the Moon Amulet during the radiant side quest Amulet of the Moon in order to gain Kharjo as a possible follower.