He is the younger brother of Balgruuf the Greater, and serves as a Thane to his brother. He often gets into disagreements with the Jarl's steward, Proventus Avenicci. Hrongar can usually be found sitting at the table in Dragonsreach, eating, or aimlessly walking the halls.
Hrongar comes across as being a devoted warrior and adherent in the Nord customs and traditions, as any attack made against them (most notably by Proventus Avenicci) is met with anger. He is not, however, a supporter of the Stormcloaks, often voicing his support of the Imperials and how Whiterun should take the fight to the Stormcloaks instead of "sitting around", as he puts it.
Convincing the JarlEdit
Proventus: "What would you have me do, Hrongar? Your brother is the Jarl. You know I can't question his judgement."
Hrongar: "I'm not asking you to defy the Jarl, just to open his eyes. Use subtlety and suggestion to turn his thoughts to the war. You're his steward, he'll listen to you."
Proventus: "Leave me out of your intrigues, Hrongar. If you have something to say to the Jarl, say it with your own tongue."
Hrongar: "Raise the taxes, then! Put anyone that refuses to pay in the stocks and make an example of them."
Proventus: "As you command, my lord. But, the issue could be solved another way. If we spend less on new arms and armor for the guards, for example..."
Hrongar: "We're at war, old fool, or have you forgotten? Whiterun is the crown jewel of Skyrim, and you would leave us defenseless?"
Proventus: "Forgive me, my lord. It was foolish of me to make such a suggestion."
*The preceding conversation was intended to occur once Hrongar became the Jarl of Whiterun after Balgruuf was killed by children during The Whispering Door, but this stage of the quest was removed.
- "I'm not a man, I'm a weapon in human form. Just unsheathe me, and point me at the enemy."
- "All this standing around is rubbish. We should take the fight to the Stormcloaks."
- "My brother takes council from Proventus Avenicci? What a laugh. He takes council from his daughter, and she's a bloody blacksmith." ―If Adrianne is not deceased.
- "If you're planning violence against me or mine, you'll regret it."
- "I don't like talking to someone who holds their honor so cheaply." — When exiled
- A lot of unused scripts and dialogue, when viewed with the Creation Kit, show that Hrongar was meant to initially replace Jarl Balgruuf during the quest The Whispering Door. Not only Nelkir, but all of Balgruuf's children were meant to fall under the influence of Mephala, and the three of them would commit patricide. However, the scripts remain unused, and therefore Hrongar cannot become Jarl.
- Hrongar was voiced by Paul Ganus.
This section contains bugs related to Hrongar. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- If Lydia joins The Blades, Hrongar may send Hired Thugs after the Dragonborn for unknown reasons.[unconfirmed]