|Hunter and Hunted|
|Location||Moss Mother Cavern|
|Reward||Valdr's Lucky Dagger|
A wounded hunter named Valdr sits on a log just outside the entrance to the Moss Mother Cavern, calling out for help. When questioned about his identity, he tells the Dragonborn that he is a hunter coming from Falkreath. He, along with two other hunters, tracked down a bear to this cave. Inside, they cornered the bear, but suddenly they were attacked by three Spriggans. The strange creatures killed his fellow hunters and he barely escaped, being badly injured. He asks that the Dragonborn clear out the cave of Spriggans so he can get to the bodies of his fallen friends.
The Dragonborn can heal him by giving him a potion or using a spell like Healing Hands. After healing him, he will ask the Dragonborn to clear out the cave of Spriggans. The Dragonborn can choose to clear the cave alone or take Valdr with him. Inside the cave there are three Spriggans and one Bear. The Bear and a Spriggan will be near the entrance and the other two Spriggans near the pool. It's possible to engage them individually, but they may join their fellow creatures if too much noise is made.
- If the Dragonborn enters the cave before healing Valdr, and clears out the enemies inside, he will be dead upon returning from the cave. The side quest will still be available but will not be possible to complete.
- Spriggans are very vulnerable to any sort of Fire Damage.
- Valdr may not accept anything besides a standard healing potion. Try healing him with Healing Hands if nothing else.
- Valdr may be non-interactable while injured making it impossible to give him a potion. Try healing him with Healing Hands until it triggers.
- If Valdr dies, it will not be possible to complete this quest and it will remain in the journal.
- Falkreath called "Locate Valdr's hunting party." from the Dead Man's Drink tavern owner Valga Vinicia. Doing so will cause Valdr to start dialog with the Dragonborn prematurely at "Much Better. Thanks, friend. I wouldn't have lasted much longer without that." regardless of having not been healed. Despite completing the quest it will remain in the quest log as "Locate Valdr's hunting party." and a quest marker will stay on Valdr.
One may have already received this quest in
- Valdr. To solve these problems open the console and type "setstage dunMossMotherQST 10" followed by "setstage dunMossMotherQST 20". Doing this will mark the quest as completed removing it from the "Miscellaneous" quest log as well as removing the quest marker from
- One of Valdr's hunting members which are dead are actually hostiles known by the use of console commands and their class are bandits.