After completing said Small Jobs in Whiterun, Delvin Mallory receives an urgent missive from Olfrid Battle-Born, a wealthy Nord residing in Whiterun. It appears that Arn, an old friend of Olfrid, who was incarcerated inside Whiterun’s prison, committed a serious crime in Solitude that will result in his execution. The guards in Whiterun do not know of Arn's identity, and Olfrid intends to forge Arn a new identity in order to avoid his execution.
- Speak to Olfrid Battle-Born
- Forge the prison registry
- Steal the letter incriminating Arn
- Return to Olfrid Battle-Born
- Head to Olfrid Battle-Born in Whiterun. He'll tell you that you need to do two things: Steal a letter from the Jarl's quarters and change the prisoner registry in the Steward's quarters. If you have completed the battle for Whiterun you can carry out these tasks without any trouble from the guards
- Now go to Dragonsreach, the Jarl's palace. Walk up the stairs to the right of the Jarl's throne and enter the door on your left to the Jarl's quarters. The prison registry is on a table in the room immediately to your right. Activate it to forge necessary information.
- There are three guards usually walking around. Up the stairs in the next room, go right to the Jarl's study/office area and take the letter from the desk. On the desk is a skill book as well: Before the Ages of Man. Read it for a point in Illusion. Now exit the castle and return to Olfrid. He may be in the Drunken Huntsman. He is quite pleased with this and promises his support for the Thieves' Guild.
Upon completion of this quest, you will receive a random leveled enchanted ring.
- Becoming Thane of Whiterun before this quest will grant you access to all of Dragonsreach without anyone caring, making this quest a lot easier. Just walk in and walk out. No sneaking required.
- For those wishing to avoid starting the main quest when entering Dragonsreach, simply exit out of conversation with Irileth when she approaches, go into sneak, and go upstairs. She will not follow or pester you about why you are here.
- When starting this quest Delvin's subtitles use improper grammer, resulting in Battle-Borns to become Battle-Born's even though they don't have any possession in the sentence.
- When finding Olfrid, he may be stuck in the door of House Battle-Born. he's still there but is invisible.