The Imperial Guard is an elite division of the Imperial Legion. They are tasked with the defense of the Emperor and his representatives in the provinces. There is a traditional rivalry between the Imperial Guard and their counterparts in the regular Legions.
Types of Imperial GuardEdit
- The Duke's Guard – These soldiers wear Imperial armor alongside a Duke's Guard Silver Cuirass. During the Third Era they were located in the city of Ebonheart and defended Duke Vedam Dren. The Duke's Guard comes equipped with silver weapons, most likely to defend the duke from magical opponents who can only be hurt by silver.
- The Palace Guard – Imperial soldiers stationed at the Imperial City Palace in Cyrodiil. They are tasked with defending the Elder Council and the Emperor. They are equipped with an extravagant piece of armor named the Imperial Palace Cuirass, and are commanded by an Imperial Legion Centurion.
- The Emperor's Guard defend the Emperor while he is fighting in a war. These guards wear high ranking Imperial armor.
- In The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Amaund Motierre is an Elder Council member, but he does not have any form of the Imperial Guard with him. Instead, he has an Imperial soldier in light armor named Rexus to guard him.
- The Dragonborn Emperors were guarded by their own unique special force that is not part of the Imperial Guard. In the Reman Empire, the Emperor's guards were known as the Dragongaurd, who are the predecessors to the Blades who guarded the Septim Dynasty during the third era. In the Mede Dynasty, the guards are known as the Penitus Oculatus. All of these organizations also double as special forces and personal armies for the emperor.