It seems to vaguely resemble the historical Roman Gladius Hispaniensis, (or "Spanish Sword") which was the primary weapon of the Roman Legions until the 3rd Century A.D., a reference the Greco-Roman traits shown by the Empire throughout the series, especially after The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind onwards. The Imperial symbol is carved into the guard.
- On Corrupted Shades at Meridia's Shrine, during The Break of Dawn.
- Can be stolen from the armory in Castle Dour in Solitude.
- Two can be found in Whitewatch Tower on the weapon rack.
- Two can be found in Fort Greymoor, on the weapon rack.
- Any Legion camp contains 5-8 Imperials who all wield a sword.
- Can be found in the Abandoned Prison.
- Sulla Trebatius in Alftand carries an enchanted variant.
- One can be found southeast of Froki's Shack with a closed Imperial Helmet hanging in front of a Talos Shrine.
- The damage and weight are identical to the Steel Sword, the only difference being its appearance and value.
- In The Art of Skyrim, there are conceptual illustrations of two different types of Imperial swords. However, only one of them made it into the game.
- It bears a strong resemblance to a gladius, a sword commonly used in ancient Rome. This would fit with the parallels the Empire shares with the Roman Empire.