Iron Ingot is a crafting material found in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. It is used to craft and improve various weapons and armor via Smithing. They are also a component required to build various features of homesteads.
Although only roughly related, it is still worth mentioning: There is a spell, belonging to the alteration skill tree, called: Transmute Mineral Ore. it changes individual Iron ore pieces into Silver Ore, if you then cast the spell again, it will turn the silver ore into Gold Ore. This is perfect for making gold and crafting jewelry, fairly quickly.
Iron ingots can be used in conjunction with other ingots to craft a large variety of items:
- Iron weapons and armor
- Steel weapons and armor
- Dwarven weapons and armor
- Orcish weapons and armor
- Building materials
Mines that have a large number of iron ore veins include:
- There are 5 iron ingots outside Alvor and Sigrid's House in Riverwood. If the Dragonborn sides with Hadvar in the quest Unbound, they can be taken with out any repercussions.
- There are 12 iron ingots in Treva's Watch west of Riften. The first 6 are in the escape tunnel and the last 6 are in the bandit chief's treasure room.
- There are 27 iron ingots located in the Solitude Blacksmith.
- Along with smelting, they can be bought at general goods merchants and blacksmiths. Furthermore, they can be found on enemies as loot.
- 14 ingots can be found in Fort Dawnguard, near where Gunmar's forge is, but only if the Dragonborn sides with the Dawnguard in "Bloodline."
- The Scorched Hammer has 9 in the basement. They are free to take if you invest in Balimund's business.
- Iron Ore (1)