| Base Damage:|
| Base Value:|
|Class: One Handed, Sword|
|Upgrade Material: Iron Ingot|
Both enchanted and unenchanted swords are available throughout Skyrim at level 1. These locations include:
- Blacksmiths and general goods merchants.
- Wielded by various characters or enemies.
- Found as random loot in chests or as a world item throughout Skyrim.
- Can be pickpocketed from certain characters.
It can be upgraded with an Iron Ingot at a grindstone, however it does not benefit from any smithing perks.
- The Hold guards tend to say "Iron sword, eh? What are you fighting, butterflies?", " That iron sword's pretty undependable. You should try steel", or "Pigsticker like that's not going to get you far. Best visit the blacksmith." with an iron sword equipped.
- The Iron Sword is the first weapon the Dragonborn can pick up if Hadvar is followed. It is found in the room where the Dragonborn's bindings are removed.
- In Ysgramor's Tomb, a broken iron sword can be found.