Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
J'zargo has created ten Flame Cloak Scrolls that he wishes to have tested. He says that they are especially potent against the undead and asks if the Dragonborn could take them to test them and report back to him.
Talk to J'zargo after the Dragonborn has completed "Under Saarthal" and agree to help with his experiment, he will then proceed to explain how he needs the Dragonborn to test his scrolls. J'zargo's scrolls must be used in melee range of undead, last for 30 seconds, and kill undead almost instantly. Furthermore, due to the potency of these scrolls, the undead explode and damage everyone nearby upon exploding.
A close place to test the scrolls is The Midden which is located in the College of Winterhold and the Skytemple Ruins just north of the College, though keep in mind any underground barrow is appropriate as long as skeletons or draugr are present. This is a decent quest to undertake while the Dragonborn is seeking out a Word of Power, or in conjunction with a "find an item" quest.
Unfortunately, the scrolls don't quite work correctly; they not only hurt the undead, they also hurt the Dragonborn and any follower(s).
Once complete, the Dragonborn can return to J'zargo for a reward, and also gets to keep the leftover scrolls. Additionally, he becomes available as a follower.
Warning: The scrolls are not considered quest items and can be accidentally stored; in which case they will disappear (after some time) and the quest will fail.
J'zargo has asked me for help with a project he's working on. I'm supposed to test out Flame Cloak scrolls he made, and report back to him when I've tried them out on several undead creatures.
I've informed J'zargo that the Flame Cloak scrolls he created don't work exactly as he intended. I doubt he'll be asking for additional help.
- Be cautious when using these scrolls. The explosion damage from the undead may provoke an attack from any followers. A suggestion is to have them wait at a distance until done. If a follower has been hurt this way, along with them turning hostile, a bounty may be acquired in the respective hold where the follower is recruited.
- Walking within melee range of multiple undead may immediately kill the Dragonborn due to multiple explosions.
- The Become Ethereal shout can be used to avoid the explosion damage.
- The Dragonborn can raise from the dead any creature they have killed, and then use a scroll on it; the quest doesn't seem to mind that the scrolls one's own temporary followers.
- The scrolls can be used on the same dead thrall by killing it and raising it again.
- If this quest is done with the Apprentice Stone activated, make sure to replace it temporarily, or get resist magic/fire to compensate for it, as using this scroll near a lot of undead will do a lot of damage to the Dragonborn, potentially killing them, especially with mages whose Health isn't too high. This shouldn't pose a problem if at a higher level or if the Dragonborn has a lot of Health.
- If the scrolls are wasted and J'zargo is asked for more of them, he will get mad and say to forget he ever asked that he asked for help, because he gave the Dragonborn plenty of them.
- Using this scroll on Serana will count towards progress of this quest, as she is a vampire.
This section contains bugs related to J'zargo's Experiment. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- Also note that if the College of Winterhold quest The Staff of Magnus is active in the background, you can not talk to J'zargo about the results of the scrolls. You will need to complete the Staff of Magnus quest first, in order to finish J'zargo's experiment. This does not mean that you need to finish the Staff of Magnus before J'zargo's quest is available, but if you had received J'zargo's quest before the Staff of Magnus began, you can complete it as long as you don't start the college quest.
|College of Winterhold Quests|
|Main Quest||First Lessons • Under Saarthal • Hitting the Books • Good Intentions|
Revealing the Unseen • Containment • The Staff of Magnus • The Eye of Magnus
|Side Quests||Arniel's Endeavor • J'zargo's Experiment • Brelyna's Practice|
Onmund's Request • Out of Balance • Rejoining the College
|Master Spell Quests||Alteration Ritual Spell • Destruction Ritual Spell • Conjuration Ritual Spell|
Illusion Ritual Spell • Restoration Ritual Spell
|Radiant Quests||Aftershock • Tolfdir the Absent-Minded • Fetch Me That Book!|
Shalidor's Insights • Enchanting Pick-Up • Restocking Soul Gems
|Other Quests||Lost Apprentices • Forgotten Names|