Later, he managed to become the Imperial Battlemage of Uriel Septim VII. In 3E 389, he captured Uriel VII and banished him into Oblivion with the Staff of Chaos. He then took the Emperor's visage and usurped the throne of Tamriel, replacing the Emperor's guard and servants with Daedra and other foul creatures. The only issue with this plan was that should the Emperor die in the plane of Oblivion, Tharn's treachery would be revealed. Normally when the Emperor of Tamriel dies, the Elder Council is magically informed by the Amulet of Kings and meets to select a successor. By sequestering Uriel Septim VII in another dimension, where time ran slower, Tharn prevented this from happening. He then broke the staff into eight pieces and hid them in the other provinces of Tamriel.
Several years later, he made a bargain with Mehrunes Dagon to invade Battlespire, the Imperial training facility and bastion of the Imperial Battlemages. This move was essential to secure his position and to eliminate a possible threat to his reign. Mehrunes Dagon was destroyed and cast back into Oblivion by a mysterious hero, but the Battlespire was destroyed. The Imperial Battlemages, a potential threat to Tharn, were no longer capable of thwarting Tharn's reign.
In 3E 397, Tharn and Pergan Asuul tried to manipulate the War of the Bend'r-Mahk to create the Shadow of War, the powerful creature known as Umbra' Keth. However, another mysterious hero with the help of Skelos Undriel and Azra Nightwielder, thwarted his plan.
His reign ended in 3E 399. The Eternal Champion, with the help of Ria Silmane and Lady Barenziah, managed to gather the hidden pieces of the Staff of Chaos. During the final battle, in the depths of the Imperial Palace Dungeon, the champion managed to grab the Jewel of Fire, a jewel that held Tharn's power and the whole energy of the Staff of Chaos. Jagar Tharn was slain, Uriel Septim VII rescued, and the hero saw himself declared as the Eternal Champion of Tamriel.
At the fourth level of the palace, Tharn will fight the Eternal Champion. After having his health depleted to 0, Tharn will encase himself in a magical shield. In order to finally defeat Tharn, the Champion must touch the Jewel of Fire. This will cause Tharn to disintegrate, as seen through a cutscene, and as the cutscene finishes the quest is completed. It should be noted that fighting Tharn is completely optional; all that is necessary is activating the jewel.
- Makes no noise
- 25% chance of reflecting spells
- 10 - 25 damage range in Hand-to-Hand
- Sees invisible characters
- Does not regenerate lost health points
- Has no aura/breath weapons
- Can be instantly killed by activating the Jewel of Fire
- According to certain backstories for the main character in Daggerfall, there were circles of battlemages who were aware who Uriel Septim "really was," but none were brave enough to stand up against Tharn.
- The Elder Scrolls: Arena
- The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall (Mentioned only)
- An Elder Scrolls Legend: Battlespire (Mentioned only)
- The Elder Scrolls Travels: Shadowkey (Mentioned only)
- The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Mentioned only)
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Mentioned only)
|Imperial Battlemage to the Emperor|
|Unknown||3E 3?? - 3E 389||Ocato|
|Empire of Tamriel|
|Uriel Septim VII||3E 389 - 3E 399||Uriel Septim VII|