Laila Law-Giver is experienced, but possibly superstitious. She wishes to make a good Jarl and rule Riften justly.
She's the Jarl of Riften and the Rift where she resides with her court in Mistveil Keep. Laila has two children; Harrald, the older and Saerlund, the younger. Both differ on their opinions on who they should side with in the Civil War.
Because he supports the Empire, the Jarl believes that Saerlund has lost his mind or is possessed and tells her Court Wizard, Wylandriah, to find a reason. She believes she has the Thieves Guild problem under control and her advisors reinforce her belief. Her housecarl is Unmid Snow-Shod.
During the quest Skooma Trade she gives the Dragonborn pointers of where to look for the criminals. She later rewards the Dragonborn with the title of Thane if he's known throughout the hold and have purchased Honeyside, the player house in Riften.
As a supporter of Ulfric Stormcloak and his rebellion, if she is removed from her position, she is exiled along with the rest of her family from Riften. She is then replaced by Maven Black-Briar, an affluent Nord noble who controls most aspects of the city even before her reign as Jarl. She can then be found at the Palace of the Kings in Windhelm. There, she remarks on how she failed the people of Riften.
- She's the only Jarl that uses a unique dialogue line when declaring Dragonborn Thane.
- When attempting to become Thane of Riften and after purchasing Honeyside, upgrading or entering house before returning to the Jarl will remove the dialog options required to complete the quest. This permanently leaves 'Return to Jarl of Riften' in the player's quest journal. This bug applies only if Laila Law-Giver is Jarl of Riften during the aforementioned quest. This bug was not addressed in patch 1.3.10 and there is no known solution for conoles. UPDATE This was addressed and fixed in the latest patch (1.4). However, there is a new bug thus recently discovered. In one case (so far) Laila Lawgiver disappears from sight. According to the player, when she had walked into the building in which Laila Lawgiver dwells, Laila, without moving on her own, lifted into the air, flew back and disappeared into a wall. The player then found her just outside the entrance to that same building with the same effect. As of yet, the developer and forums have not picked up on this bug. If you have the same problem, post it on any Skyrim forum around and also mention the incident to Skyrim developers.
[player.setstage FreeformRiftenThane 200]will grant you the Title Thane of Riften and the Reward for the Quest 'Return to Jarl of Riften' Workaround:
- Sometimes you do not get the option of buying a house and becoming Thane of Riften from Laila Law-Giver. This may be because you left a previous miscellaneous quest involving the people of Riften incomplete.
- When you become Thane she does not give you a Sword of the Rift, but she does however give you a randomly enchanted weapon without a unique name.
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (First appearance)