The Hero of Kvatch is given the choice to kill Jeelius during this quest. However:
- If the Hero chooses not to kill him, the Mythic Dawn cultists will become hostile and attack.
- If the Hero chooses to wake him up, he'll flee, not even giving the Hero the choice to talk to him. It's hard to protect him because he runs so fast, but it's well worth it if successful. If he gets out of the cave alive, he can be seen later on in the Temple of the One in Imperial City, Temple District. If he is visited, he'll advance the Hero's Alchemy, Restoration, and Mysticism skills by one point.
There are three ways Jeelius can die:
- The first is to kill him when asked.
- The second is to pick up the Mysterium Xarxes from the pedestal. When the Mysterium Xarxes is removed from the pedestal, the large statue of Mehrunes Dagon behind the Hero crumbles, usually resulting in Jeelius' death if he is still lying on the altar.
- The third way he can get killed is when on his way out of the cave, as the cult members will attack him on sight and he won't defend himself.
"Where am I? What is this place? Arkay preserve me, I remember now ... hooded men grabbed me as I was leaving the Temple ... We must get out of here! Come on!"
(If approached again)
"By all that is holy, we must get out of this hellish place!"
"Thank you for saving me, friend. I don't know who you are, but it is clear that Akatosh guides you. I am a priest in the Temple of the One in the Imperial City. Perhaps out paths will cross again one day."
- Mythic Dawn "Is that who they were? All I know is that they intended to sacrifice me to their dark lord. If only I could erase the memory of that hellish place."
- Prophet "The church is still in turmoil from the attack on the Chapel of Dibella. I don't think anyone has had the time to really study this prophet's teachings. My best advice would be to go, listen carefully, and decide for yourself."
(In the Imperial City Temple of the One)
"My friend! It is good to see you again. You risked your life to save me, a stranger. You are truly among the blessed of Arkay's children. As a small token of my gratitude, please allow me to share with you some of my small store of knowledge of the healing arts."
(If approached again)
"Arkay's blessings upon you."
- It is possible that he will pick up a weapon and help fight but instead of fleeing, he will fight the Mythic Dawn on sight, then flee.