Jod takes his duty and his loyalty to the town seriously.
He was an Imperial Legionnaire who fought in the Great War on a ship against the Thalmor, and seems to respect the Legion and its warriors, unlike Skald the Elder, his lord.
If the player discards the armor issue they were given after joining the Stormcloaks, Jod will confront the player, asking if he can take it.
Jod: "My Jarl, I have concerns about the safety of Dawnstar."
Skald: "Safety? Don't I have you to handle the town's safety? What is this about, Jod?"
Jod: "You keep pledging more and more of our guard to the frontlines. The way this is going, we won't be able to defend our own borders."
Skald: "Nonsense. The best place for our men is driving the Imperials back. I will ensure that men from Dawnstar get every opportunity for glory."
Jod: "Glory is meaningless if they have no home to return to. I urge you to lower our commitments to the front until I'm sure we're safe."
Skald: "I won't have you rob our soldiers of their chance to drive out the Empire. I'm done discussing this, Jod."
Leave the fighting to the StormcloaksEdit
Skald: "We are poised for glory, Jod. The Empire will never take Dawnstar while every last man, woman, and child here draws breathe!"
Jod: "With respect, Jarl. You can't ask everyone to throw themselves against trained Legionnaires. Let's leave the fighting to the Stormcloaks."
Skald: "You're right. Why dilute the glory with too many souls fighting over it? We'll drive out the Empire and be celebrated as heroes when we win."
Jod: "If we win. This war is going to drag on for years. I can feel it. We need to prepare for a long struggle ahead."
Skald: "Enough of your dire predictions! We will talk about this another time."
- "I should bash your face in after all you've done." (in exile)
- "Jarl Skald is upset over the loss of Dawnstar. I'll admit, it's less I have to worry about." (in exile)
- "You should leave. Skald gets upset around Imperials." (in exile)
- "I'm Skald's housecarl and head of his guard in Dawnstar."
- "Skald is very... vocal about his hatred of the Empire."
- "The tenacity of the Imperial Legion is legendary. We need to be ready for them."
- "I served in the Great War against the Thalmor. I remember how bravely a Legionnaire can fight."