Jod takes his duty and his loyalty to the town seriously.
He was an Imperial Legionnaire who fought in the Great War on a ship against the Thalmor, and seems to respect the Legion and its warriors, unlike Skald the Elder, his lord.
Skald the ElderEdit
Jod: "My Jarl, I have concerns about the safety of Dawnstar."
Skald: "Safety? Don't I have you to handle the town's safety? What is this about, Jod?"
Jod: "You keep pledging more and more of our guard to the frontlines. The way this is going, we won't be able to defend our own borders."
Skald: "Nonsense. The best place for our men is driving the Imperials back. I will ensure that men from Dawnstar get every opportunity for glory."
Jod: "Glory is meaningless if they have no home to return to. I urge you to lower our commitments to the front until I'm sure we're safe."
Skald: "I won't have you rob our soldiers of their chance to drive out the Empire. I'm done discussing this, Jod."
Skald: "We are poised for glory, Jod. The Empire will never take Dawnstar while every last man, woman, and child here draws breathe!"
Jod: "With respect, Jarl. You can't ask everyone to throw themselves against trained Legionnaires. Let's leave the fighting to the Stormcloaks."
Skald: "You're right. Why dilute the glory with too many souls fighting over it? We'll drive out the Empire and be celebrated as heroes when we win."
Jod: "If we win. This war is going to drag on for years. I can feel it. We need to prepare for a long struggle ahead."
Skald: "Enough of your dire predictions! We will talk about this another time."
- "I should bash your face in after all you've done." (in exile)
- "Jarl Skald is upset over the loss of Dawnstar. I'll admit, it's less I have to worry about." (in exile)
- "You should leave. Skald gets upset around Imperials." (in exile)
- "I'm Skald's housecarl and head of his guard in Dawnstar."
- "Skald is very... vocal about his hatred of the Empire."
- "The tenacity of the Imperial Legion is legendary. We need to be ready for them."
- "I served in the Great War against the Thalmor. I remember how bravely a Legionnaire can fight."