His clan, the Battle-Borns, are known supporters of the Empire. He can be seen around Belethor's General Goods. Perhaps due to his relationship with Olfina Gray-Mane, he seems unimpressed with the Civil War. He is implied to be a bit of a romantic (or at least less of a traditional Nordic warrior) compared to the rest of the family, both in his appreciation of Nordic culture and his disdain for the war-oriented Nordic mindset. He seems to despise Mikael because of his misuse of his bard knowledge saying that he only sings for the money and the women.
Olfina: "Why, Jon Battle-Born, you're writing me a song? Does it somehow involve blood, or beheadings, or the honor of my forebears?"
Jon: "Well, that's where I started. But it turned into something of a ballad."
Olfina: "A ballad? Oh, now I know you're joking with me."
Jon: "It's all true, I swear it. You can hear it when it's done. I'll just need a year or two to smooth the rough edges."
Olfina: "Ha! I thought as much."
Applying at the CollegeEdit
Jon: "No, not yet. But I will. I just haven't... gotten around to it yet."
Olfina: "Oh Jon, stop dallying. You know you have to go. It's why Mara put you on this earth. You think a few miles can truly keep us apart?"
Jon: "You mean you won't forget about me the moment I'm out of sight? Get yourself a nice old rich husband, have sixteen babies?"
Olfina: "Tsk. You've uncovered my master plan. Now I suppose you'll never leave."
Olfina: "I can't. Not tonight. I need to go home. I swear, my father is starting to suspect something." or "I can't. Not tonight. I need to go home. I swear, my family is starting to suspect something."
Jon: "That's your imagination running wild. Nobody knows how we feel about each other."
Olfina: "Don't talk about my father like that, Jon. And the answer's still no. But tomorrow, definitely." or "Don't say that out loud. Not here. And the answer's still no. But tomorrow, definitely."
Time at the tavernEdit
Olfina: "Not now, I'm working."
Jon: "Bah. You're always working. Why else would I spend so much time here?"
Olfina: "Mikael is quite the songbird. Maybe he's the reason you're here all the time." or "Perhaps it's because there's no better way to face the cold Skyrim nights than with a belly full of ale?"
Jon: "Aye, the bard's got talent, I'll give him that. You just make sure his music is the only thing you're admiring." or "Oh, there's a better way. A buxom barmaid between the sheets will keeps me plenty warm. Better yet, she won't make my head ring the morning after."
Olfina: "Oh Jon, darling. You know you're the only stone-biting, knuckle-dragging Nord for me."
Jon: "Ha! That's my girl."
Note: the preceding two conversations are altered slightly if Eorlund Gray-Mane is deceased.
- "Well met, kinsman." ―If the Dragonborn is a Nord.
- "May your sword be sharp, and your tongue sharper!"
- "What do you want, milk-drinker?" ―If Dragonborn sides with the Stormcloaks, or followed Ralof out of Helgen.
- "Well met, traveller." ―If the Dragonborn is not a Nord.
- "You know what's wrong with Skyrim these days? Everyone is obsessed with death."
- Jon Battle-Born is romantically involved with Olfina Gray-Mane, this can be seen by pickpocketing the "letter from Olfina" from him. The story may be an allusion to the Romeo and Juliet story.
- Jon can be used in the quest Missing in Action to acquire the Imperial Missive directing the Dragonborn to Thorald Gray-Mane. However, the letter needs to be pickpocketed from him and he be confronted with it to utilize this.
- In the evening, when Jon is in the Bannered Mare, Saadia might begin conversation with another female NPC such as Ysolda or Hulda. Jon will barge in, interrupting the conversation saying, "Hello, ladies! Is there anything a big, strong man can do for you this fine evening?", to which Saadia will reply, "Perhaps. If you see any big, strong men around, tell us." She and the other woman laugh as Jon stalks off.
This section contains bugs related to Jon Battle-Born. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- Amaund Motierre in The Bannered Mare during the Dark Brotherhood quest, he may appear in the room for just a few seconds and then disappear. When talking to
- Sometimes, when talking to his sister at the Battle-Born Farm, she will say that he wishes to join the Bards College as a short response. However, speaking to her again, she says that he wished to join the Bards College before he died, although she never mentioned this in her response a few seconds ago, meaning that Jon had died in those few seconds.