He is proud to serve Ulfric, but if the Dragonborn sided with the Imperials in the Civil War, he mentions that he will never miss Ulfric's fiery temper. Once Fort Neugrad has been captured for the Stormcloaks in the Civil War, the Dragonborn can buy the house, Hjerim, for 12,000 , although he will accept 8,000 or more, and he also hands out the Windhelm Home Decorating Guide.
He is essential in the quest Blood on the Ice, as the guards will only let the Dragonborn investigate if Jorleif permits it. According to the Skyrim Strategy Guide, Jorleif is supposed to be replaced by Captain Lonely-Gale as steward once Windhelm has fallen to Imperial control, but sometimes Jorleif still remains the steward.
- Blood on the Ice.
- Talking to Jorlief can start miscellaneous Bounty Quests. This can be done infinitely.
Jorleif can be conversed with at any time by the Dragonborn.
Jorleif is the one who sells Hjerim to the Dragonborn. The following exchange will occur when he is asked about purchasing it:
I would like to purchase a house in the city.
- I'll take it. "Wonderful! Here is the key to your new home."
- On second thought, maybe I'll take a bit longer to decide. "Very well, just let me know when you're ready to purchase the house."
He can also be asked about decorating Hjerim:
I'd like to decorate my home.
- Never mind. I don't want to purchase any decorations right now. "As you wish. Speak to me again if you decide to purchase some decorations for your home."
- [All options] "Very well, I'll make the arrangements. The next time you visit your house, your new furnishings will be in place. Is there anything else you'd like to purchase?"
Jorleif: "A reasonable strategy."
Ulfric: "And you, Jorleif?"
Jorleif: "Well, sir, the hold of Falkreath is fairly vulnerable, and blocks the only road from Cyrodiil."
Ulfric: "A good point, old friend."
Jorleif: "To be sure, my lord, I am not skilled in the arts of war or military tactics."
Ulfric: "But you're able to see the whole in the parts, and for that I'm grateful."
Jorleif: "As you wish, sir."
Unrest in the Gray QuarterEdit
Ulfric: "Blasted dark elves. I don't suppose you could tell them that I presently have larger concerns? Such as all of Skyrim?"
Jorleif: "They don't seem to be very sympathetic to our cause, sir."
Ulfric: "Let me know if you hear anything more substantial."
Jorleif: "Of course, my lord."
Message to the ReachEdit
Jorleif: "And the message, sir?"
Ulfric: "I'm diverting Gar and Haddring's men to join him."
Jorleif: "Is that wise, sir?"
Ulfric: "It will work if we can pull Hran's men from the south. And find a bit of luck."
Jorleif: "Of course. Something that seems to be in short supply these days."
Ulfric: "I'm not seeking advice right now, friend. Just send the message."
- "Serving as Steward to Ulfric Stormcloak was a great honor, but I don't miss his temper." (If the Dragonborn killed Ulfric as part of the Imperial Legion side of the Civil War)
- "I don't care that we lost, I'm just glad the war is over." (If Imperials won war)
- "The Stormcloaks are finding victory across the land."
- "I'm not much of a strategist, but Lord Ulfric listens to my counsel all the same."
- "He seems to value my counsel, and I'm grateful for that."
- "Travel safely. It's dangerous out there."
- "I don't like talking to someone who holds their honor so cheaply."
- "If you have any news of the western Holds, take it to Jarl Ulfric."
This section contains bugs related to Jorleif. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
Sometimes if he is talked to, all he will say is "If you're planning violence against me or mine, you'll regret it."
setstage MS11 40fixes this issue.
- Sometimes Jorleif can be found lying on the floor. He is still fully functional, but won't get up.
- If Jorleif is talked to before completing the Blood On Ice quest, there will be no option to acquire the house.
- The option to buy and upgrade the house may not be in the speech list. This only happens in the same sitting as killing Ulfric. Saving and resetting the game will fix this. There may be a situation in which this does not immediately work but it has happened that after resetting the system cache and completing the Civil War Questline in the Empire's favor, one might be able to fix this by completing the "Kill the Dragon" quest at Northwind Summit and turning it into Anuriel.