The Justice System is a system that was introduced as part of Update 6 of The Elder Scrolls Online. This system allows players to steal from vendors and kill random non-playable characters and includes the ability for players to hunt outlaws.
If an outlaw is arrested by a guard and he willingly clears his bounty, all his unlaundered items will be seized. If the outlaw is killed by a guard or an enforcer, the gold worth the bounty and unlaundered items will be subtracted from the player's inventory. If the gold carried by the player is not enough to clear the bounty, the remaining amount of gold will remain as a bounty.
Some of the most common crimes include:
- Attacking characters
- Fleeing from a guard
Attacking or killing characters and creatures outlined with white color will add the player a bounty. Attacking characters and creatures outlined with yellow or red color is not considered a crime, so the player will not receive a bounty even if they kill them.
- Disreputable – Guards will generally ignore the players unless they walk right up to them.
- Notorious – Guards will give chase to the player on sight.
- Fugitive from Justice – Guards will attack player on sight.
The player will be given three options if approaced by a guard:
- Clear the bounty.
- Ask for clemency (only available with the Thieves Guild Clemency passive perk).
- Flee from the guard. This action will further increase the bounty.
The Vestige will have the following dialogue options with guards:
[Pay] Here's <#> gold
[Clemency] I have powerful friends. My bounty has already been covered.
[Flee in <#> sec] I won't pay the bounty.
Additional effects of acquiring a bountyEdit
Merchants outside outlaws refuges will refuse offering their services to players. In addition, enforcers will hunt down outlaws, resulting in a PVP battle.
- Kickback, Legerdemain: Reduces bounties willingly to pay to guards and fences by a certain amount.
- Swiftly Forgotten, Thieves Guild: Bounty and heat is decreased by a certain amount after some time.
- Clemency, Thieves Guild skill tree: When a guard accosts the player, he may use Clemency once per day. If used, the Guard will not arrest him or take his money and stolen goods. Additionally, Guards will not attempt to accost him for one minute after he uses Clemency unless he commits other crimes.
- Scales of Pitiless Justice, Dark Brotherhood: Bounty and Heat resulting from a witnessed Murder or Assault is reduced by a certain amount.