|Kidnapped For Ransom|
|Have an image that helps illustrate this quest?|
Then please upload it!
For more information please consult our image policies
|Quest Giver||Rochelle the Red or a Random Bandit|
|Location|| Player Homestead|
|Reward||Spouse returned safely|
This quest is in the Skyrim add-on, Hearthfire.
- Read Note.
- Travel to <Radiant Location>.
- Pay ransom or kill the bandits.
- Free spouse.
When the Dragonborn returns home, one day they might be met by a group of bandits. The Dragonborn will be given a note detailing the kidnapping of their spouse. The leader of this group, Rochelle the Red, demands a ransom of 5000 for the Dragonborn's spouse.
Once reading the note, the Dragonborn may choose to pay the ransom or return their spouse safely by other means. Once reaching Rochelle's hideout, they will need to either pay the ransom or attack the bandit group. If payed, the spouse will be returned to the Dragonborn. If attacked and provoked, every bandit within the hideout will need to be killed to rescue the Dragonborn's spouse.
*Note: There is no "Quest complete" stage in the journal for this quest.
- This quest will only start if the Dragonborn's spouse is occupying one of the homesteads able to be built with the Hearthfire expansion.
This section contains bugs related to Kidnapped For Ransom. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- Rochelle the Red may actually never be seen as she may not deliver the note to the Dragonborn and/or not be found at the location that her bandits are at.
- The quest may end suddenly if the Dragonborn enters their house before going to the rescue. To avoid this, upon receiving the quest go directly to the site where their spouse is held without entering their house.
- Whatever the way the player ends the quest, their spouse may become bugged, with an almost constant, strange backwards-walking animation. They may also get stuck along the way from the bandit lair back to their home. This can be fixed for players on PC by clicking on their spouse in the console and using the "Resurrect" command. Another way to fix this bug is to recruit the spouse as a follower, then beat them up until they leave the player's service, but not enough to turn them hostile. They should then be able to walk freely. (Not all spouses are capable of becoming followers, so this would only work for those who can.)
- Another "cure" for the backwards-walking is to have the spouse follow and then travel to a known dragon lair. Hopefully, the dragon will do enough damage (the spouse drops to one knee) without actually killing them. This seems to "knock" the bug out of them as well.
- Yet another cure for the backwards-walking glitch is to keep playing Dawnguard side-quests until your spouse is kidnapped by vampires for the Rescue quest. Once rescued, they should be walking normally from then on.
- Another found "cure" for this is to reload a previous save and instead of traveling to the homestead, travel to the place in which the spouse is captured. Don't attack any bandits until reaching the Bandit Chief. The spouse can be freed and she will follow the player until returning to the homestead, walking normally in the house.
- Following the quest certain speech options such as the option to ask your spouse for your share of profits or to move house may become inaccessible.